Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Receiving chemo despite low ANC ? - experiences urgently needed

Options
simhansen
simhansen Member Posts: 2

Dear all,

7.5 yrs since MBC diag. Very widespread bone mets & numerous (small) liver.
Recently on Abema, worked well for 1yr, but stopped working.
ANC (neutro count) is still low here 2.5 weeks since stopping (0.8)

I need to receive IV chemo, but my neutros in general seem to struggle.

Thus I am seeking experiences about receing IV Chemo despite low ANC - with the help of Neulasta/Neupogen

I am in a country where there is massive reluctance to use Neulasta in the metastatic setting...!

- Have you been started on IV chemo despite low ANC prior to start?
- How low does your onc allow ANC/neutros to go and still receive chemo (with Neulasta)?

I am urgently seeking as many experiences as possible, detailing stories of having low WBC (neutros) prior to chemo as well as during chemo, YET receiving chemo, with help from Neulasta.

I am NOT terminal but I meet doctors who refuse IV chemo at these numbers and who refuse to use stimulating meds, in case my "marrow is tired".

My impression is MANY, many ladies are in active IV chemo with neutros like mine (0.7-0.8), with help from Neulasta.

Please, please help....

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,918
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi simhansen,

Mod Julie here and I'd like to welcome you to our Breastcancer.org Community! Although I did not experience a breast cancer diagnosis, I did have stage 4/metastatic sarcoma a few years back and therefore, am familiar with low ANC counts. My doctors only paused my IV chemo once, because my side effects and counts were too low. I received 2 blood transfusions and 2 platelet transfusions during that time. I was receiving IV chemo with the help of neulasta and continued for most of it for normal cycles, and my counts dropped to as low as .2 ANC. Again, this is just my personal experience I wanted to share. I would recommend talking with your doctor about what they feel is safe for you, but I also hope you're able to gather more experiences from our other members.

Please let us know if we can provide more help to you. Good luck.

-- Julie & the Mods

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2022
    Options

Are you in Canada by any chance? Some provinces here really drag their feet & will not assign gcsf shots for stage 4. I'm in BC and have been on grastofil for large chunks of my stage 4 dx but it took a fair bit of paperwork & my private extended insurance to kick in.

Which iv chemo will you be starting?

• simhansen
    simhansen Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thx for your replies. I am in a Scandinavian country. There is massive reluctance at this hospital to use neulasta in the metastatic setting, yet no one has any good explanations why....so I am investigating moving to different part of the country.

The chemo is to be a taxane, but currently neutros are too low (0.8 - 2.5 weeks since stopping Abemaciclib 100mg dosing).

I requested marrow biopsy to investigate either marrow carcinosis (causing low numbers) or simply to find out if "marrow is tired".

This hospital does NOT treat if "marrow is tired", even with neulasta! It is a categorical decision.