Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Xeloda advice

Options
LGinNYC
LGinNYC Member Posts: 2

Hi all, I see there is an active thread on Xeloda but it’s been going for a long time so a lot of the information is buried. I started Xeloda today. I’m on a 7/7/7/7 regimen. Would love advice and/or info that is helpful for a newbie.

Comments

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi, not familiar with the regimen but I’m back on Xeloda for the third time. I find it easily tolerated. I really have few, if any side effects, with the exception of the hand and foot syndrome. The most important thing is to be religious about moisturizing your hands and feet multiple times per day. Avoid washing your hands a lot, doing a lot of manual labour with your hands, etc. As an example, I am early in the treatment cycle (currently on the second round) and am dealing with a nasty split in my right thumb. I made the mistake of doing too much gardening during the first cycle and am paying for it now. (It wasn’t the work but the hand washing I think and then the fact that I am on steroids at the moment due to an issue with spinal mets that were radiated is making it difficult to get it to heal.) I use the Udderly Cream but others may have alternate suggestions.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    edited May 2022
    Options

lginnyc,

It looks like you're pretty new to the forum. I'm not sure if you've been living with mbc for awhile and just found us or are new to the diagnosis. Usually, tho, a newbie doesn't start so soon on Xeloda. At any rate, welcome.

The Xeloda thread has good info and I'll continue to post on it, but wanted to reach out to you because I've been on it for two years. I am on seven days on, seven off. Like Sadie above said, it's a rather tolerable drug for many of us.

When I first started, another member, joynerl, sent me a file she'd created of different tips she'd saved from other members. Joyner has gone on to other treatment, so I will post the link to here. I'm sure you'll find it useful. It is a good starting point. If you have further questions, maybe you'll join us on the other Xeloda thread. All are welcome! I wish you the very best!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmggw3ihu8bawfn/Xeloda%20comments.docx?dl=0

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,688
    edited May 2022
    Options

Iginnyc, I’ve been on Xeloda since September of last year. I have very dry hands from washing too much, but they don’t hurt. My feet are a little peely, but I’m bad about moisturizing them every day. I will say when I first went on Xeloda, I had a few episodes of being overwhelmed and crying for no reason. It subsided within about a month, though, and I’ve tolerated it very well since. I’m also on 7 days on, 7 days off.