Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Calcifications in Left breast

msozrn
msozrn Member Posts: 6
edited June 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello. I am really worried. I have had normal mammograms. I am 51, and have had breast implants and a lift, implants were replaced when I had lift. No lumps or masses, BUT I had the mammogram and they wanted a diagnostic mammogram. I got that done. So that day I was told I have calcifications in one breast and there is a small cluster of them and warrants concern. I am scared. So, I go into the consult room and was told a biopsy is more definitive. I felt rushed, I felt not valued and the doom and gloom from this facility was in the mood. HELP PLEASE. I am unsure, scared, frightened, worried, etc. Any advice or same experience? Please.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited June 2022
    Waiting to find out what something is is the worst! When do they want to do the biopsy? Hopefully you don't have to wait too long.
  • buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2022

this has happened to me twice. The first cluster of calcifications was found to be benign after biopsy. A few years later I had more calcifications in a different area of the same breast (left) and this time DCIS was found after biopsy. Lumpectomy was then required and after analysis a small micro invasion was found so I went back for a sentinel node biopsy. All went well with that and now I wait (and wait and wait) for radiation and they also want me to go on Tamoxifen for five years (still not sure about that). All in all there is really nothing to worry about. Worry does not change things. Stay strong and move forward with knowledge and strength

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2022

same thing here. Calcifications in left breast which turned out to be DCIS. When is your biopsy? I’m sorry you are having to deal with this. Waiting and wondering are the worst. Feel free to PM me.

• msozrn
    edited June 2022

Hi. Friday is biopsy. WONDERFUL advice regarding knowledge and strength. The lady who reviewed the mammogram "mentioned" DCIS, but I think I prompted her by asking "what if". But shouldn't any talk be reserved till AFTER the biopsy??? Are they really being truthful regarding the necessity of a biopsy? No bedside manner with her, she seemed so doomy and gloomy and the scheduler was even worse. I "felt" pressure to schedule and it was an inconvenience to her when the already picked date was not to my liking.I meet with NP on Weds to discuss my health history. Then on Friday is the biopsy. I am so confused. I do have implants. I am happy with my breasts. If the biopsy is not benign, then what??? I am not sure what will transpire regarding removal, my implant, etc. Any other input? I DO FEEL BETTER with support here. The women there were not sensitive.I know I am being mean, but I did work night shift that Weds night and went Thurs morning to find out ASAP. NO, I stand firm that it was not a positive experience. Also, should I address what happened to the NP?? How will they know if I don't speak up : (

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited June 2022
    I wouldn't read too much into how the team was behaving, yet. They should absolutely try to treat everyone the best they can, but sometimes bad things happen and it's a struggle. Remember that there was just a mass shooting in a medical office this week so that's probably weighing heavily on everyone's minds. If it becomes a pattern I'd definitely speak up or switch offices though.
  • msozrn
    edited June 2022

This was BEFORE the shooting, just to mention. I am keeping my appointment and will address the concern to the NP respectfully.

• Luckynumber47
    Luckynumber47 Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2022

There is a standard of care when the radiologist reviews your mammogram and ultrasound. They assign a BIRADS number. BIRADS 3 means slightly suspicious - review again in 6 months, BIRADS 4 is a little more suspicious, requires a biopsy, 80% chance benign. BIRADS 5 is highly suspicious, 90% (or is it 95%?) cancerous.

If it does turn out to be dcis they will most likely recommend a lumpectomy and radiation. If they find some invasive cancer with the dcis then other treatment options will be recommended based on size and aggressiveness of the tumor.

You should be able to call and get your BIRADS number. That will give you an early indication of what they’re thinking.

• msozrn
    edited June 2022

Hello. It was the number 4 in follow my health app. After the diagnostic mammogram. Biopsy recommended. Thanks for the reply. You summed it up great.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934
    edited June 2022

Also keep in mind that most medical facilities are short staffed these days, and any doom or gloom you THOUGHT you saw would have most likely been a reflection of their work situation. I've been here for four years and not once have I seen somebody post " "The tech was so cheerful and sunny so I know there's nothing wrong!" It's always imaged gloom and doom. The mammographers, ultrasound techs, CT techs, radiologists I've encountered over the years have always been pleasant and even cheerful. But I still had a couple of cancers. 😆