Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life insurance before biopsy

lilygizmocat123
lilygizmocat123 Member Posts: 13
edited June 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

It just dawned on me today my biopsy is tomorrow so I do not have an official diagnosis until a week or more from tomorrow. I just purchased life insurance today. Has anyone else done this and/or had any problems with it?

My thoughts are after the official diagnosis it will be impossible to purchase more and/or be totally unaffordable!!

Comments

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165

If you answer all questions truthful and there are no exclusion of any type then you should be fine (I actually had a health insurance policy that started jan 1 this year that would have paid me 2000 for a major illness. However it had a 30 day exclusion so any illness in the first 30 days were covered and since my diagnosis was jan 4 nothing for my cancer diagnosis but it wasn’t something I signed up because of a fear of cancer it was just a little ironic because that money would have come in handy) so just make you have read the whole policy but you are right after a diagnosis would have to be in remission for a number of years before you would be able to find a polic

• lilygizmocat123

IT just hit me out of nowhere! Nothing is looking good for me! They had my bi-rad at 4C now its been bumped up to a 5 and suspected metastatic! I have another mammogram and ultrasound biopsy on both breast and lymph node tomorrow! But!! With no official diagnosis...thats in my favor! Answered everything truthfully and got it no problem! I feel good knowing my family will be helped out some what financially! Ty for replying! I'm sure most people aren't thinking about things like this I didn't want to offend anyone and of course "Google" was coming up blank!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934

Just so you know, Birads 5 doesn't mean metastatic. Heck, some people still get benign results. Mine was a 5, and I did have cancer and a micromet in my sentinel node, but that's NOT considered metastatic. The terminology can be confusing in the beginning since you'll hear "metastatic" to refer to both a tiny speck in one node, or spread beyond the breast area. Only distant spread is considered stage 4. I didn't even have to have chemo, and it was stage 1, even with a grubby node.

• lilygizmocat123

Hi there!

Its bad! I was told today 100% its cancer and its unfortunately very fast growing. I told the doctor I bought life insurance yesterday she agreed it was a damn good idea! I have 9cm lump in breast and 4 lymph nodes that we know of. I thanked for for changeing that bi-rad on the "my chart app"- bc if she hadn't I would have been in shock at the office with a bunch of strangers! I liked being in shock at home around family better. She did say most people want more of a sugar coating ...I said not me so it was a good call! I'm very grateful I didn't have a break down there today!!

I thought it was odd multiple people kept asking me who was with me! Lol I started panicking like they were really going to hurt me and I wouldn't be able to drive!! Nope! It was because of the diagnosis. I hope yours goes better! I'll have all the specifics in a week. My approach is hope for the best but EXPECT the worst!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698

Hate to put a damper on things, but your life insurance application will quite possibly be denied. You had knowledge that there was a strong likelihood of an impending cancer diagnosis. That, in itself, is more than enough to deny you a new policy.

I'm so very sorry you find yourself joining our ranks. Best wishes for getting effective, tolerable treatments.

Trish