Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Concerned about progression

Options
finallyoverit
finallyoverit Member Posts: 133

<sigh>. About 6 weeks ago I noticed a lump on the same side as my original diagnosis. I’m not sure if it’s something new, or scar tissue that I’ve already had a biopsy done to “prove” that it’s not a concern. I’ve noticed the same breast is shrinking in size (can cancer leave ANYTHING alone?!) so I’m not sure if it’s just that lump of scar tissue that is just more noticeable since there is less breast tissue in general.

Anyway, I have an appointment with my MO tomorrow and will ask. I had blood work done last week in preparation for my appt tomorrow. I looked at the results this afternoon and my eyes went right to the ALT/AST section. Both are higher than they normally are but not crazy high. (ALT is 41 and AST is 37). Of course I went right to Dr Google and have legitimately freaked myself out. Have a sneaking suspicion that I have progression and my liver enzymes are an early hint.

Happy freaking Independence Day. Good thing I likely won’t sleep tonight, no need to worry about my neighbors and their fireworks waking me up.

Yup, I’m freaked out. Trying to wait to hear what my MO has to say. I don’t have a good feeling about it.

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,088
    Options

I understand the freaking out thing. Those of us with MBC can do that pretty well. But, I just wanted to tell you that when I was diagnosed with liver mets, I was found to have an 8 centimeter tumor,,and my liver enzymes were totally normal- I don't remember the number, but within normal range. A baseball size tumor on the liver and it did not affect the liver function?! So all I am saying, though not very well I am afraid, is you do not necessarily have progression to the liver. Several things can cause the liver enzymes to elevate other than cancer.

I pray that all goes well tomorrow with your MO appointment. I will be looking for your post.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    Options

Finallyoverit, you mean Dr. Google thinks even a slight rise in liver alt or ast is not a good sign? My doctors don't find the small fluctuations in blood work cause for concern. One thing I notice with myself is if I start taking a new supplement, like a vitamin or mineral, they can affect my bloodwork. Have you made any of those kinds of changes recently? The good thing is you will see you onc soon to get some answers. Let us know how the appt, goes. Best wishes.

Btw, when I was on Ibrance and then Verzenio, my liver bloodwork looked awful. I did not have progression to liver. When I stopped those meds, liver bloodwork returned to normal. I’m going to check my chart and see if I can find some of those numbers ffrom a couple years ago.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    Options

Here is a screenshots of my liver bloodwork from a couple years ago:

AST - the 15-37 U/L is the normal range listed, my readings are to the left of that column.

Myself doing a quick google, it sounds like the numbers need to be two or three times the normal range to be considered elevated:

• finallyoverit
    Options

Thanks for the support, everyone. I’m usually not freaked out by this stuff, but I just passed 5 years Stage IV with no progression. My MO didn’t expect me to be doing so well this far out. While I’m grateful, I’m now super anxious about that other shoe dropping. Trying to put it out of my mind but the combo of the lump and elevated lab results, has me nervous

• finallyoverit
    Options

i saw my MO this afternoon. He wasn’t concerned with the levels, at all. He said if it was cancer, the levels would be much higher and my bilirubin would be elevated. He said it could have increased from inflammation, or maybe something I ate.

I swear I feel like I have PTSD. It’s so crazy the roller coaster of emotions we are on. I really do try not to worry about things until my MO tells me it’s something to worry about. Easier said than done sometimes.

Thanks for all the support and talking me off the edge, ladies.