Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Disappearing lesion?

Options
jwillis6763
jwillis6763 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hello everyone. I'm a 32 year old who is currently going through testing. In May during a breast ultrasound they found a 3x2cm mass in my left breast. I was labeled Bi-RADS 4 and referred for urgent mammogram & repeat ultrasound. I had these tests done 5 days later.

The mammogram didn't locate anything due to extremely dense breast tissue. They did ultrasound next to target the area of suspicion and they couldn't locate it. So I am having an MRI tomorrow per the radiologists recommendation.

I did have a fine needlebiopsy on an axillary lymph node on that side that was abnormal looking and it came back benign.

I have searched in countless locations for anyone who has experienced this vanishing lesion without luck. I guess I'm just confused as to whether it was really there, or if this happens sometimes.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yes, this can happen with dense breasts unfortunately. Different imaging types can show or not show different things. Hopefully the MRI will clear things up!
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited July 2022
    Options

Dear jwillis6763,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that these breast changes have brought you here. We are glad that you reached out for support. You may also want to check out this topic on Common Imaging Questions.It might help clarify the various Imaging Modalities. Keep us posted on what you learn. Let us know if we can offer further assistance.

The MOds

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited July 2022
    Options

Jwillis good luck on your MRI. The surprising little "secret" is that mammography alone is not that good an imaging modality if you have very dense breast tissue. When I was diagnosed 4 years ago that problem wasn't as well known. My tricky little spot only showed on an MRI.

So glad you are receiving such excellent care. Hope all is clear and benign for you.