Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Help: 38 Asymmetry & indeterminate results

Options
marnia
marnia Member Posts: 7
edited July 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Thanks for reading! 38 years old w/ high risk for breast cancer.I began preventive testing 1 year ago. I am concerned about my mammogram results from this week and wondered if given my recent MRI and US results from four months ago, if this is more concerning. Looking for insight. I return in 2 weeks for another mammogram and targeted US. Everything I've read about “indeterminate" results feels scary.

1. Current mammogram— Left breast: Indeterminate MLO middle depth slightly below the nipple line asymmetry. Indeterminate CC view lateral middle depth parenchymal pattern. No suspicious calcifications. Consider targeted left breast ultrasound.
  2. Five months ago I had a preventive MRI. Results = Probably benign 1.2 cm persistently enhancing oval T2 hyperintense mass in L breast
  3. I had a f/u US after the MRI 4.5 months ago. Results = Normal, could not find mass.
  4. One year ago I had my baseline mammogram, which was normal.

Given my current and past test results, is this concerning? Andshould I push for a biopsy?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    edited July 2022
    Options

I am so sorry this is worrying you. If the ultrasound results are normal and no mass can be found, what would they biopsy?

• marnia
    edited July 2022
    Options

thank you. There was a mass on the MRI 4 mo ago and the following ultrasound 3 1/2 months ago didn’t show it and was considered normal. This week my mammogram has asymmetry noted in both views. It’s in the similar general area as the mass that was on the MRI. Could my last ultrasound have missed something? I guess I’m just really worried that my follow up ultrasound in a few weeks will show something.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,945
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi marnia, and welcome to Breastcancer.org. We are sorry that these changes to your breast health have brought you here, and glad that you reached out. Many times these masses are found to be cysts related to your cycle and can fluctuate in size throughout the month depending on hormones. Most breast changes are not related to cancer, so try not to worry too much.

Please update us after your appointment and let us know what you learn.

Thinking of you,

The Mods

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 668
    edited July 2022
    Options

It's easy to be stressed over all this imaging and hopefully it is a benign mass/consolidation. I noticed the MR report say's persistently enhancing oval mass, so this was seen before? Since you started testing a year ago guessing you had a previous MR? I feel as though they called it most likely benign and if they were overly concerned would have recommended a biopsy then.

There are plenty of times the MR and Us don't coincide. Nevertheless of course they will keep a close eye on things being you are in a high risk category. Try not to get ahead of yourself I know it can be difficult. We can't change what may or may not be there but you are on top of things which is always a plus! Best wishes.

• marnia
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thank you so much to those who have responded and shared support.

Cookie54, it’s exactly that… more imaging than I was anticipating at the start. It’s been a year since I’ve started the high risk screening, which is one MR and one MRI annually. And with the follow up tests scheduled weeks apart (due to availability), I’ve been worrying a lot, too.

In response to your question, yes, a mass was seen 4 months ago on my Preventive MRI. These were my April ‘22 MRI results (a “normal” US followed one week later):

- Probably benign 1.2 cm persistently enhancing oval

- T2 hyperintense mass at 3:00 just lateral to the central nipple line, axial image 70/106 and sagittal image 29/140

- There are several nonspecific foci of progressive enhancement within the breast.

- The nipple and dermis are unremarkable.

- There is no axillary lymphadenopathy.