Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Please help me with biopsy results

Options
mumuriri
mumuriri Member Posts: 26

I'm waiting to get my first meeting with surgeon and MO at Dana Farber next week, but am trying to understand my biopsy results better (I found out I had cancer on Friday, I'm still in a depressive/anxious daze):

Mass was: 11mm x 9mm x 5mm

IDC, ER+ (93.94% strong), PR+ (95.27%) strong, HER-2 negative (1+ negative) KI-67: 27.36

I understand from a previous thread I had posted that this means endocrine therapy will work for me. What is the 1+ negative for HER-2? Isn't this KI-67 super high? Does the KI-67 mean I'll probably have to have chemo? No grade was listed or Luminal type. My biopsy was done at a local clinic before I transferred care on diagnosis to Dana Farber --- I haven't seen the report and had to ask them twice to get this info (first call they only told me + / -, no KI-67 score).

Thank you for any help you can give. I'm so anxious and panicking that my stats are bad especially the KI-67.

Comments

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    edited August 2022
    Options

So sorry you're here. The 1+ negative her2 is a level of the her2 expression found in the sample. That is considered a low level which is why they said her2 is (-). I did not have a Ki67 done so I can't help you there. I wouldn't get too hung up on this just yet. Surgical pathology is what will determine your treatment plan. It's a small mass as well. mm is better than cm. Hope that helps just a little. Best wishes to you.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited August 2022
    Options

Mumuriri sorry you find yourself here with a positive diagnosis. These are definitely the hardest days because you know you have something you have to take care of but you don't know what all you are in for in terms of treatment and recovery.

You really have to wait for final pathology of the entire tumor including Oncotype or Mammaprint testing of that mass to help assess treatment protocol. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the Ki-67 - there are quite a few places that do not test for that. That particular characteristic along with several others are evaluated in the final tumor testing. You have a very small mass so that means you may be a strong candidate for lumpectomy and radiation. Your next few days will be focused on meetings with breast surgeons, plastic surgeons, radiation doctors, etc Hopefully you have the assistance of a nurse navigator to help you with scheduling and questions along the way.

I wish you all the best. Just try to move through one day at a time. If your anxiety gets to be too much, let your doctors know.