Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Biopsy question

Options
hirri
hirri Member Posts: 7
edited August 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

If you read my other post, I had my 6 months follow up after 2 ultrasounds and one MRI and now getting MRI again. Biopsy is not off the table if I really want it but it was not recommended at this point (radiologists thinks that if second MRI shows no changes, we are good to continue follow ups). During recent days I read so many forums and blogs where women say that no matter what 'always get a biopsy' and so many stories how they waited and then got worse diagnosis after 6 or 12 months because it was never a cyst or fibroadenoma. This makes me wonder, if this happens, why they hesitate to give biopsy? What are the reasons? In my country it's not about the money because we have very good private medicine options which are not even expensive. I mean can it make something worse (besides possible infection)? Or is it because 80% of biopsies come back benign? I just don't get it. Or are those stories dramatic and very rare and only appear common on the internet? I am a very rational person and when doctor tells me there is no need to do it, I trust her. But then I read stories on the internet and I get confused and scared.

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 673
    edited August 2022
    Options

hirri, sorry that you have been dealing with a stressful situation for sometime now. I understand how stressful that can be !

A couple of reasons why radiologists don't recommend biopsies: There are guidelines that they have to follow based on what they see ,as you know Bi-Rad. Threy are there to protect patients from having unnecessary procedures. Imaging has become so advanced over years which is wonderful but also picks up many benign area's that can cause needless worry. Radiologists are also required to do a peer review on each other to make sure they are staying within the guidelines of the ARRT. This is so they do not“ Overcall" a study or miss something either. I know it seems so easy for them to just recommend biopsies but it just doesn't work that way. Can you imagine if they recommended biopsies on every case that was suspicious? Trust me I understand as a cancer patient where you're coming from before I was diagnosed I had eight biopsies over 9 years.

It sounds like you are on top of things and they are keeping a close eye on this. You can also get another opinion, have another institution look at your images, see if they agree.You can ask if the radiologist that is reading your study specializes in women's imaging? Is it the same radiologist each time? Maybe these small things will help ease your mind a little.

Just remember no two situ are the same. You obviously have to do whatever gives YOU mental peace.Best wishes to you, I hope this information helps a little.

• hirri
    hirri Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks, cookie54. I am going to same radiologist who works at cancer center and specializes in breast and prostate imaging for almost 20 years, so she does and reads my ultrasounds and MRIs. And yet still I read some forums where unknown women tell that they did not get biopsy and ended up with worst diagnosis and it just kills me. When I am at the doctor's office, I totally trust her. But the problem starts when I leave. Anyway, thanks for this comment, I understand the reasons. It seems that their job is such a huge responsibility.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 673
    edited August 2022
    Options

Oh great seems like you are getting excellent care! It’s important we trust and have faith in our doctors.

I totally understand I can be my own worst enemy sometimes. It’s hard to turn our minds off.. isn’t it??

Keep us posted, sending peaceful vibes…