Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implants and reconstruction I need advice

Options
loverofjesus
loverofjesus Member Posts: 174
edited November 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Ok so I had my exchange consultation with my plastic surgeon today. I'm small frame but a tad over weight at 5'4" 170

I currently have 500cc expanders UM.

I am getting 595cc Implants. But the projection is likely smaller than my expanders. My plastic surgeon said he can’t put anything any larger in I just feel defeated I feel like I went through reconstruction for no reason almost I feel like I’m still going to be flat

Can someone give me their ideas after surgery and results? And what size you turned out to be.

I would take pictures in messages too. I'm so conflicted and confused. I was thinking they would look better but now I'm wondering.

thank you all in advance!!!

Comments

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2022
    Options

It all depends on the type of implant you use. There are some that are made specifically to provide projection. I have Natrelle Inspira SCX in 600 cc. I am a whopping 34DDD with plenty of projection. I am tall, so I don’t “think” they look ridiculous. Haha.

Previously I had some Natrelle “teardrop” shaped ones in 595 cc. I was flat and very unhappy. It is amazing what a different type of implant can do.

I would encourage you to not do anything until you are completely satisfied with the proposed plan. Get another opinion or two if you need. Measure twice, cut once!

Good luck.

• biancablessed
    biancablessed Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi! I am very new to this discussion board(in fact I believe this is the first time I have replied to a post with a question) That question being, if you don’t mind me asking is:

Well, first thing first, I just had bilateral second stage reconstruction surgery this past Monday Aug 8, 2022)had double mastectomy April 4,2022 with immediate placement of tissue expanders)

I’m sure you know the bilateral second stage reconstruction surgery was the exchange surgery removing the tissue expanders and placement of permanent implants(sometimes I talk aloud lol)

Your post caught my eye, as I, too, received Natrelle Inspira SCX implants(although mine are both 525cc) Although I am extraordinarily grateful to God to be able to get implants, I still can’t help but to question how long does it take for these implants to settle(I ask this question because they are not symmetrical, one[my right] is rounder and higher and a bit more rippled while the other[my left] momentarily gravitates further out toward my armpit area)

I was just curious if this is more of a “give them time to settle and then see the result” issue or if I need to be more proactive? I’m just not sure what questions I should be asking my PS(I truly am grateful but want to be sure I’m doing my due diligence in researching/asking the right questions etc…)

If perchance you see this post and get the chance to reply, it would be immensely appreciated! If not, I still want to say, that I think it is so wonderful that ppl like yourself take the time and share…I truly can’t thank you and all the others enough for that!

Take care and praying for everybody! :)

• veggal
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi Biancablessed! Congrats on getting through reconstruction.

As to your questions, they seem valid. While it does take some time for the swelling to go down and for the tissues to settle, I feel that things are pretty obvious from the beginning. Ripples are unlikely to disappear and if the one is drifting to your armpit, that will likely not improve either.

I would simply point these issues out on your next visit. It is your body, and you deserve answers and you certainly deserve to be satisfied with your results. Many times, though, things that seem to be a “big deal” at first become less so with time. Sometimes they don’t though. A large percentage of women want/need revisions and that is OK too

• biancablessed
    biancablessed Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @veggal! :) I can’t thank you enough for your genuine response! It has helped me tremendously in how I now view going forward! I only wish I could help you in any way shape or form(and by all means, if I can, I am absolutely here for you, as well!)

So I see, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, that you initially received Natrelle teardrop shaped silicone implants and a year later had surgery to exchange your Natrelle teardrop silicone implants for the Natrelle SCX silicone implants along with reconstruction fat grafting?! If I may ask, do you feel that the use of fat grafting was especially helpful in giving you satisfaction with your final results?!

Thanks in advance for your time…if my question is too personal, I completely understand, and nonetheless, am extremely grateful for all of your wonderful help! :)

• veggal
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello again! Glad I could help.

Yes, I went from the shaped, textured implants under the muscle to the smooth, round implants over the muscle with fat grafting. The fat grafting was key to giving them a natural contour, eliminating ripples, and making them warmer and softer.

Let me know if you need any more info. Good luck with the rest of your process

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,124
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi to everyone here. This was my third time with breast cancer but I feel like it’s the first time all over again! Just had single mastectomy with tissue expander last week. You all seem so much more knowledgeable about your reconstruction than I am! I feel absolutely lost!

In 2019 I had a single mastectomy with DIEP. Yes, should have had bilateral mastectomy but surgeon refused to remove my healthy breast. That is a story of it’s own and really doesn’t matter now, as I have to deal with the present.

My DIEP reconstructed breast is great! I am totally satisfied with it. Saturday night was my first shower and look at myself since my resurgery. I felt immediately sad at the loss of my “real” breast, but while not shocked at the appearance of my recent surgery, it now looks like I have one very nice breast and one deformed, lumpy round mass! All I could think of was “how is my surgeon ever going to make this look like a breast?”

Needless to say I am still feeling pains of surgery while wondering what I got myself into? I will see Plastics PA on Wednesday for one week check up. Not sure what to expect. I feel like this will go on for a long time. Maybe it’s because it is 1AM, but I don’t know how I will get through this!

• jennik78
    jennik78 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2022
    Options

My guess is that flat or not flat is based on your pre-surgery physique.

I have a similiar frame (thank you chemo for that 20 lbs) and my new 400cc implants (280 cc expanders) are larger than my old breasts so do not feel flat. They don't look large either (I am not unrealistic) but they look nice sized. I suppose on someone who lived the first 40+ years with larger breasts they might not seem large enough.