Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Olivia Newton John passes away at 73 (thread open to all)

Options
exbrnxgrl
exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,763

I am not into the world of celebrity but I do notice when bc is the cause. May she Rest In Peace .

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/arts/olivia-newton-john-dead.html

Comments

• janeqpoppy
    janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was so sad to read this. I always think of her as being so young, but checking... she's only two months older than I am. A gorgeous voice and a wonderful enterntainer. She will be missed.

What kind of cancer did she have when she had her first diagnosis in 1992?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,942
    edited August 2022
    Options

She was a classy lady. Jane, here is what I found about her diagnosis:

"Dame Olivia Newton-John passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family's privacy during this very difficult time," her husband, John Easterling, wrote in a statement on the singer's verified Instagram account. "Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer."

The singer revealed in September 2018 that she was treating cancer at the base of her spine. It was her third cancer diagnosis, following bouts with breast cancer in the early '90s and in 2017.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    edited August 2022
    Options

RIP Olivia.

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2022
    Options

This sucks. May she Rest In Peace. I was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago today. Now I feel anxious. Guess I will go for a long walk, that is my coping mechanism.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2022
    Options

Anyone know what her original diagnosis was? Wondering if she was er and or pr positive or her2 positive also if it was lobular, ductile or something else? Such a longtime since her recurrence in 2017.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,763
    edited August 2022
    Options

meow,

I'm not 100% sure ofthe timeline, but she had mets to the base of her spine in 2018 so she has been metastatic since then. Once you are metastatic how long you live really varies so this was not a long time.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2022
    Options

Oh gosh, sad that she is gone. I will always remember seeing her in Grease. She was such a bright star!

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited August 2022
    Options

my posts keep not going through, then I get so far behind i go back to just reading.(Mostly on Oligomets and Ibrance thread I think) but this one hit me HARD.

I am not a huge celebrity person, but I grew up listening to and watching her. And then the timeline...20 years is not enough! And hers was mostly without these stupid mets.

Anyway, I wish her family peace. I Just looked it up again, and John Travolta did a sweet tweet. So sad.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited August 2022
    Options

When she revealed she had been dealing with spine mets in 2018, her story gave me hope. She said she was doing fine and had improved since the time when the mets were found, she had been in a wheel chair dealing with severe pain before they were diagnosed properly, IIRC. Very sad to hear this news.

• Hopeismyname
    Hopeismyname Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2022
    Options

I feel so, so sad! RIP Olivia Newton-John and stay strong all of you wonderful ladies!!!

• meow13
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was a bit shocked that she had bone mets apparently not under control it seemed to me she died suddenly, not sure she was being treated with ibrance (was it hormone positive?)or other drugs or even radiation. I only saw cannabis for pain.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2022
    Options

I read she was treated with radiation and CB oil only and that was her choice, she was big in to plant based medican.

• justme1964
    justme1964 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was shocked to hear what happened.. I know she was battling for a long time.. as for plant-based medicine.. I am not a fan but her choice..... may she RIP and pray for all those that are still fighting the fight...

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    edited August 2022
    Options

I'm so very sad for the news of Olivia Newton John but hers was a life well lived. Her music is part of the soundtrack to all our lives.

From what I understand about her disease, she was first diagnosed in 1992 at which time she had chemotherapy, partial mastectomy and reconstruction. She had a recurrence in 2013. I have read that it had travelled to her shoulder at that time which would have made her metastatic then. Many news reports are saying she was diagnosed in 2017 metastatic with mets to the sacrum. There are no reports of any additional medical measures she took in 2013, but in 2017, she had radiation and began using plant medicine including cannibas.

We don't know how things unfolded since 2017. That was five years ago and she may have eventually had progression to other areas of the body. But, she celebrated the 40th anniversary of Grease in 2018 and was able to attend her (only child) daughter's wedding last year and said “ I'm so lucky to still be doing all these things! I don't think I imagined living this long! I feel very blessed."

This beautiful photo of her was shared on Instagram when her death was announced. Rest in peace. 🌹

• meow13
    edited August 2022
    Options

I am not positive but I think in 2013 she was misdiagnosed with sciatica and it wasn't until 2017/2018 that it was found to be a recurrence so at that point the progression was very significant. She did say she had to really press doctors in 1992 to do a surgical biopsy and found it was breast cancer. She herself said you need to advocate for yourselves. Rest in peace Olivia she was a truly beautiful person.

Divinemrsm this agrees with your post, I think for almost 5 years she was metastatic.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2022
    Options

meow, from numerous articles I read, she did have a recurrence in 2013 to the shoulder, not a misdiagnosis of sciatica at that time. Then in 2017 she suffered severe back pain and sciatica causing her to cancel some concert performances; this turned out to be bc metastasized to the sacrum.

• meow13
    edited August 2022
    Options

They probably didn't think of cancer since it had been so long, the shoulder in 2013 then misdiagnosed in 2017 with sciatica in 2017, poor woman.

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thank you so for sharing these details DivineMrsM. Olivia will be missed.

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    edited August 2022
    Options

KKsMom & Meow13, it's heart wrenching to hear it came back after so long, unless it was a secondary cancer.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2022
    Options

Here is some additional information about Olivia’s last days as reported to the program A Current Affair by her niece, Tottie Goldsmith:

Goldsmith told the news program that Newton-John's death wasn't a "shock" to her family because of how sick she was in the days before she passed. "It's not a shock — we've known how sick she's been, especially in the last five days," she said. "It wasn't just the cancer that got her; it was other complications, being in a hospital and with a very susceptible immune system. She got secondary infections. She really went down in the past five, six days." Though Newton-John used medical cannabis to deal with the pain of her stage 4 breast cancer, Goldsmith told the news program that the drug didn't help much toward the end of her life. "It wasn't enough," she said. "[She] really struggled with a lot of pain."