Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anxious

Options
scaredgirl12
scaredgirl12 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello I am 43

43. I've been getting routine mammograms for quite sometime. Yesterday I got a call back The report says "there is a developing asymmetry in the posterior upper outer quadrant of the right breast" . I went to google which I know is dumb. I can't stop. I have two sons. My mind is racing. I will go back this Friday. I attached my report and already questioned my ob because it says found in right but then recommended left. I don't know how to comprehend medical reports because my anxiety takes over. I had a panic attack yesterday and I can't stop spinning out of control. I don't know what I'm looking for.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    Waiting sucks! But there isn't anything to panic over yet. It's common to get call backs and even biopsies that turn out to be nothing. Try to distract yourself with fun activities! Stop googling and trying to decipher the report. If there is something to be concerned about, they will explain it to you.
  • meme5
    meme5 Member Posts: 43
    Options

I am so sorry you are having to wait. It is one of the hardest things to do when you want an answer right now and no one can give you one.

For sure Google is not a good place to go. It creates more anxiety than you already have. You read one thing which leads to another thing and before you know it you have read way to much and still have no answers. It is maddening. So instead I try meditation or repeating mantras such as “I will handle whatever the outcome is”. I also watch comedy or journal about my feelings.

I also am waiting for test results so totally understand. This really could turn out to be nothing and you will be proud of yourself for taking a deep breath, and stay in the present moment.

Hoping for a good outcome for you. You can do this waiting game. Hang in there

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Some wise person once said to me something like 90% of things we worry might happen have in reality have a less than 10% chance of actually happening.

• scaredgirl12
    scaredgirl12 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello below are my results from follow up mammogram and ultrasound. I don’t understand “probably”. I mean I get it but does that mean I just want around and it develops into something more. I scheduled a second opinion image review. I will go Monday morning. I don’t see any information about fluctuating asymmetry tissueand what that means.

76642^US BREAST SONO UNIL LIMITED

UNI MG TOMO^MG UNILATERAL MAMMOGRAM WITH TOMOSYNTHESIS

DIAGNOSTIC RIGHT MAMMOGRAM WITH TOMOSYNTHESIS AND TARGETED RIGHT BREAST

ULTRASOUND

HISTORY: Recall.

COMPARISON: Multiple prior exams.

VIEWS: Digital spot compression CC, spot compression MLO and true lateral

tomosynthesis images of the right breast were performed at 1 mm increments with

reconstructed 2D images.

The computer aided detection system was utilized.

Clinical breast exam in the past year: Yes.

BREAST DENSITY: Scattered fibroglandular tissue.

MASS: No suspicious mass.

CALCIFICATIONS: No suspicious microcalcifications.

ARCHITECTURAL DISTORTION: No suspicious architectural distortion.

SKIN AND NIPPLE: Unremarkable

OTHER FINDINGS: The questioned asymmetric density in the right upper outer

quadrant has a fluctuating appearance and likely represents fluctuating

asymmetric tissues.

TARGETED ULTRASOUND

FINDINGS: Targeted right breast ultrasound is performed in the upper outer

quadrant. No suspicious sonographic finding is identified.

IMPRESSION: QUESTIONED ASYMMETRIC DENSITY IN THE RIGHT UPPER-OUTER QUADRANT HAS

A FLUCTUATING APPEARANCE AND LIKELY REPRESENTS FLUCTUATING ASYMMETRIC TISSUES.

FOLLOW-UP RIGHT DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAM IS RECOMMENDED IN 6 MONTHS.

AT THE TIME OF THE RESULT DISCUSSION, THE PATIENT INQUIRED ABOUT THE OPTION OF

BIOPSY. I DID EXPLAIN TO THE PATIENT THAT A STEREOTACTIC CORE BIOPSY WILL BE

FEASIBLE. SHE WILL DISCUSS WITH HER DOCTOR AND DECIDE ON HOW TO PROCEED. FOR

NOW, WE AGREED ON 6 MONTH FOLLOW-UP.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Diagnostic right mammogram in six months.

BI-RADS: 3, Probably benign. Under MQSA guidelines, results were provided to

the patient.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

YI HUNG LI MD

• sammygirlindia
    sammygirlindia Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi - I had a similar finding on my first 3D tomosynthesis mammogram - focal left asymmetry - Birads 0). Followed up with an ultrasound which was negative like yours and was concluded as glandular tissue. I was marked Birads-1 though everything tells me it should be Birads 3. My breast surgeon also confirmed that it is benign - so that should be the case for you too.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    You should be able to get more answers at your follow up appointment! Don't worry about all the details in the report. Remember these reports are not written for us, they are written for other doctors to read and review. We are not expected to understand all the complicated medical terms. It's normal to see a spot and simply check it again later. They use words like "probably" because no one can ever say with 100% certainty what something is on a scan. But if it was suspicious they would have used Birads 4 or 5.