Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Letrozole dry mouth, lips , and palpitations

gardengurl
gardengurl Member Posts: 23

I am only two months into taking letrozole. Struggling. Hot flashes night sweats with palpitations extremely dry vagina and now dry lips and mouth! I wake up with the tip of my tongue sore and have a rancid taste in my mouth . I’ve been drinking extra fluids and using biotine gel, which is a very temporary fix. I’m not dehydrated and my labs are good. Called onc and taking a 2 week break. Going to cardio on Thursday. Anyone else dealing with these side effects?

Comments

• trayala1245
    trayala1245 Member Posts: 6

omg! I have been having dry mouth as well, and I never connected the two. I thought I suddenly became a mouth breather at night...lol. However, there are times during the day when my mouth feels like a desert, my tongue is like a petrified piece of cardboard!!! And very difficult when at work talking on the phone..

Thank you for bringing this to light. I thought I was going nuts.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,217

Letrozole really dries you out - every cell in your body!

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 773

Biotene can really help. One of my chemo's caused dry mouth and my antideressant's cause it. Been using Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and I think they have a gel also.

• dderickson
    dderickson Member Posts: 1

I've been on Letrozole for five months, and I had the dry mouth issue (like my tongue becoming the Sahara desert) even before that, from antidepressants. It was actually my dentist who recommended Xylimelts (xylitol and other natural ingredients in a tablet that adheres to your gums, and slowly releases over a period of hours). It can be used day or night, and is actually good for your teeth! I haven't had to sip water at night since I've been using them.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 773

The xylitol melts are great.

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 327

gardengurl, you have lots of good suggestions from my BCO sisters. I’m currently on Tamoxifen but I was recently diagnosed with Sjögren’s syndrome, which has dry eye and dry mouth symptoms due to an autoimmune condition. Xylimelts really help me at night. I also use Ice Chips xylitol candy during the day and drink lots of water. Ice Chips are expensive but I like the flavors. I also use Biotene and sometimes swish coconut oil in my mouth.

My doctor suggested that I not eat any sugar between meals (but with meals is OK) because sugar can make your mouth more dry. Having a humidifier on during the night in your bedroom can also help and avoiding using a fan (which is hard due to hot flashes).

Be careful with your brushing and flossing as dry mouth makes you more susceptible to cavities and gum disease.