Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Issues and Tamoxifen

Options
amosteelers
amosteelers Member Posts: 2

i was wondering if anyone has experienced a change in hair texture while on tamoxifen. If so, any solutions? I have talked with my hairdresser about it and she has recommended different products, but it just doesn’t seem to help. I know this is a relatively minor side effect, but it does affect how you see yourself. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing hair issues

Comments

• mrsbeasley38
    mrsbeasley38 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I lost a lot of hair while taking Tamoxifen. It all came back full and thick once I completed the 5 years.

• rogueleft1
    rogueleft1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi, I am a lurker since my diagnose in 2019. But, I created an account to respond to your question. Hair has been a big issue for me! Many tears have been shed over the loss and regrowth of my hair. When my chemo was finished my hair started to slowly come in within 8 weeks of stopping. Then I started taking Tamoxifen and within 6 months the growth was stunted and only 50% of my hair remained. I just wore head bands and sprayed that Clairol Root Cover Up to hide my scalp. Eventually my hair resembled a mullet {short on top and long on bottom} and I knew at that point for my sanity and vanity I needed help ASAP. I consulted my hair dresser and Dr. Google and used the recommended shampoos and conditioners and stared Biotin. I patiently waited to see if this course of action was going to help. Finally in summer of 2021 I had enough and went to my Dermatologist. The Dermatologist recommended I use the men's topical Minoxidil twice a day and started a prescription called Spironolactone. It was explained to me that when your estrogen is depleted then testosterone starts to ramp up and thus can create "male patterned hair loss". I carried on with this course for about 6 more months. Some progress was being made but I expressed concern that I still wasn't happy. The Dermatologist kept me on the Spironolactone and stopped the topical Minoxidil and had me start on an oral Minoxidil. Finally, my hair is growing back and you can see less and less of my scalp. The top of my hair grew enough so I could add in extensions to add fullness. I am sure others can chime in on recommendations that worked/work for them. I wish you the best with your hair growth and will be sending good hair vibes your way!

• amosteelers
    amosteelers Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for your feedback. I am actually not losing much hair, but the texture has changed. Just a change but not life altering

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Rogueleft1 thank you for sharing your decisions about managing your hair loss due to treatment. Just curious was your MO onboard for the oral spironolactone and minoxidil? I see my dermatologist tomorrow and was going to bring this up because I am so over how things look. But a little uneasy about whatever hormonal action these meds might produce. I may get the prescriptions and continue my research then start. Glad to hear they are helping you!

• rogueleft1
    rogueleft1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Yes, before I started taking anything I did get approval from my MO! Hoping you have luck with your dermatologist today! Sending hair growth vibes your way.

• DaughterOfBarb
    DaughterOfBarb Member Posts: 29
    Options

Regarding spironolactone, my MO gave me a prescription at my request after reading about it’s potential but I didn’t see an improvement in hair loss. I haven’t tried it with the oral Minoxidil, so I might to inquire about that at my next visit. I’ve only been on tamox for about 10 months and only 5mg daily and my hair loss has been pretty significant. There might be a bit of change in texture as well, but not as troubling as the thinning.

• rah2464
    Options

Thanks Rogueleft1! Here's to getting my wildly curly hair back to some level of Gilda Radner proportions ha

• rah2464
    Options

Ok have my script for spironolactone only and a script for a potassium test in two weeks. So off to regular MO appt to confirm I can do this. Fingers crossed