Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is this considered triple negative?

Options
Fitmom04
Fitmom04 Member Posts: 40
edited September 2022 in IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma)

I just my follow up with my surgeon. Margins are clear, the 6 lymph nodes she took out had 0 cancer. The estrogen was low positive, just 3% and the progesterone and HER2 were negative. It is stage 1, grade 2. I will have radiation for sure and she's thinking no chemo but that will be up to the oncologist. I will get a call in a few weeks for that appointment. Happy day for me 💕 So because the estrogen is only 3% and the other two are negative, would that mean triple negative?

Comments

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,625
    edited September 2022
    Options

bohartois,

Your cancer may very well be treated as though it were triple negative. That WOULD, I'm afraid, mean chemo. However, as your surgeon notes, chemo is something that your oncologist will discuss with you. It's really not the surgeon's call.

• Fitmom04
    edited September 2022
    Options

oh ok, so not triple negative

• Fitmom04
    edited September 2022
    Options

I guess I will have to wait and see what the oncologist says.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 371
    edited September 2022
    Options

They can also choose to do an octotype test on your tumor to find out whether chemo will be beneficial. Sometimes when hormone receptors are low they find the rewards of chemo way outweigh the risks. Oncotype could clarify whether you are one of those individuals.

• Fitmom04
    edited September 2022
    Options

I’m not sure if they’re doing that.

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2022
    Options

My initial biopsy showed the primary tumor as only 5% ER positive but still I was classified as hormone positive. After chemo (Taxol) the tumor shrank and became 20% ER positive, so I think hormone positive cells don’t respond as well to chemo. In other words, it seemed as though the non-hormone-positive cells were killed off more so than the hormone-positive ones.

I still see myself as triple negative with a slight chance of response to hormone therapy, so I’m on Tamoxifen. But after 5 years I’ll be off per my MO since by then the risks of taking it would not make it worthwhile. Hope this helps.