Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 4. Feeling ready to throw in the towel

Options
lissalou
lissalou Member Posts: 48

hi everyone,

Im feeling very defeated. I have been through several of the pill options and have started iv chemo (navelbine). I have been on iv chemo for 3 cycles and my tumor marker continues to climb. Now at 1210. Im so sick and tired of the fatigue, the headaches, the nausea, the anxiety etc etc etc. Im thinking of just going off and enjoying my sons wedding and my last trip to Florida. I wish my oncologist would just say, for example, we have these 3 things left to try and thats it. Instead of me just wondering whats next. Im feeling very overwhelmed. I was so hoping this treatment would give me more time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Melissa

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling so unwell! All of the symptoms you mentioned are treatable, so have you already tried treatments for them? There are many options. If you haven't yet, talk to a palliative care doctor because it's their job to help you feel better so you can enjoy life.

And if you want to know how many treatments are currently available that you can still try, you can simply ask your oncologist for that information. Tell them how miserable you are and see what options you have. Some people take breaks from treatment.
  • nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited September 2022
    Options

Melissa- I am sorry you feel so bad. I don't know what you have tried before except the tamoxifen and the ibrance. Have you tried Xeloda? I got 2.5 years on that.

Also can you look at your original biopsy and any other biopsies you may have had and see if you are Her2 low? that is 1+ or 2+ and Fish negative. I am 2+ and am going to start Enhertu- it is IV also, but, has a good success rate- although fairly new. It is recently approved for Her 2 low (and Her 2 +)

My doctor was also considering (supposedly well tolerated monthly) Doxil, before Enhertu got approved for Her 2 low- the problem is that these IV chemo drugs sometimes don't work- and people have varying side effect profiles. As Parakeet says there are treatments for nausea (zofran), anxiety (pills, meditation, therapy etc) even fatigue I have heard of some people using Ritalin etc.

Hugs and I hope you find something much more tolerable and feel good for your son's wedding

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,008
    edited September 2022
    Options

Melissa, it sounds like you need to talk to your oncologist and let her know how the chemotherapy is affecting your quality of life. There may be an adjustment in current treatment that can be made or a different treatment to go to altogether. If you are wondering what other things the oncologist has in the pipeline for you, please let her know it would give you peace of mind to know what the game plan is.

It’s understandable you feel overwhelmed. If you don’t think you can advocate for yourself, can you take someone to the oncologist with you to ask the important questions and speak on your behalf? I have had to learn to speak up for myself, and one thing I always tell myself is that I would speak up for one of my loved ones if need be, so why not for myself as well.

Do you take any medicine for anxiety or depression? If not, it may be time to try something. I worked with my primary care doctor to find the right antianxiety med for me. If you do take these type meds, an adjustment may be needed there as well.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

Traveled last week to visit my sister. Had a great time. Came home, next day chemo. CA markers jumped alot. Coughed so strong for 2 days that I could not speak. Had another thoracentesis ( this one after 3 weeks, not 4). They drained another 1.5L. The pain was excruciating as the fluid got lower. This is day 3 and I have no energy and no appetite. I have contacted MO. Don't think I can tolerate another thoracentesis. Seems like Enhertu isn't doing me any good, so I asked if we could do the scans in May instead of waiting till June. I think I've run out of options.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Nopink2019- I hope that you can get your scans early and see where your stand. are they doing tumor markers to give you some idea? I have heard that this drug can take awhile to work for some people.

The thoracentesis sounds very hard- is there a remedy for the pain of this procedure?

I understand how hard it is to go on when you feel so bad.