Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What’s your Tamoxifen dosage?

Options
Taralynn
Taralynn Member Posts: 45

I’m currently on 20mg tamoxifen daily for the past year. The main side effect is fatigue and it’s killing me. It’s something I’m having a really hard time getting past and I feel my quality of life is suffering.

i see my MO end of this month and I was going to ask her if I can take a break from the Tamoxifen for a few months. I want to see what my “normal” is now. I went from chemo fatigue to radiation fatigue to this fatigue! But I also see that some people take a lower dosage than 20. Maybe I’ll just try to go lower then!

what is your dosage and did it change from when you started? How is your fatigue?? I also take 75mg Effexor for the hot flashes and I read that can also cause fatigue

Comments

• rogueleft1
    rogueleft1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

taralynn, I am currently taking an AI because I am now post menopausal. But I was taking 20mg of Tamoxifen. I did have the chemo and radiation fatigue and then the fatigue just carried over when I started taking the Tamoxifen. I never found anything to help with it other than a daily nap and that wasn't a permanent sustainable solution. Once I switched to an AI I still saw no improvement. I finally complained about that and joint pain to my PCP. He did check my Vitamin D and B12 and both were low. Fatigue is a symptom of low B12 & D. I was started on a daily B12 and weekly dose of D. I also received monthly B12 shots for 3 months. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly started to feel less fatigue. I also take Effexor for the hot flashes. I'm not sure there is a one size fits all approach to fixing our various side effects, but it is definitely worth a discussion with your MO and see what their recommendations are. Hopefully you find a solution that works for you!

• Taralynn
    Options

Thank you Rogue! I recently had my annual check up and vitamin D B12 and everything else looked fine.

I can handle the bone and joint pain, even the hot flashes! But I’m unmotivated to do anything with this fatigue. I sleep at least 8-9 hours a night, wake up exhausted and take an afternoon nap. I have 3 kids and am a single mom so this isn’t really a great way to live! :(

Very curious what my MO will say. Thanks for your input!!

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Taralynn I really battled intense fatigue for the first three and a half years on tamoxifen, 10 mg twice a day. Once I finally moved thru to menopause my fatigue has lessened to where I can get thru the day without a required nap. At least looking back that seems to be the pattern. I was truly a zombie for a while. Definitely have a conversation with your MO, part of the fatigue/incapacity to start things cycle can be the depressive effect of the medication and a low dose of Efflexor may be what you need. Wishing you the best - keep pushing for what you need.

• avag
    avag Member Posts: 15
    Options

I couldn’t handle 20mg, so I went down to 10mg. Ask your doctor about the studies that suggest 10 is just as effective as 20m

• Taralynn
    Options

Rah, thank you for your response! I am currently taking 75mg of Effexor for the hot flashes and I do notice that also really helps with my anxiety! I’ve read that Effexor can also cause fatigue, so I have a ton of questions for my MO. Wish my appt was sooner than the 27th!

• Taralynn
    Options

that's really good to know Ava! I'll mention that also

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Good luck on your appointment Taralynn, let us know how it goes. ((Hugs))

• shizle7
    shizle7 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi all! Just visited the oncologist yesterday and started today on 10mg Tamoxifen. The dr. said he prefers to start low and then increase. So, I’ll be on 10mg for 2 months and then move to 20mg

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    Options

I've been on 20mg since Sept, 2017. I take it in the late afternoons. I honestly couldn't pinpoint my tiredness to the pill. Some days I'm good, other days not. I do know one definite affect it has on me is if I drink alcohold an hour or so after taking the pill. I find the pill enhances the affect of alcohol. I used to indulge in smoking a little marijuana prior to BC. I tried it again after starting the tamoxifen and it made my head spin. I'd be a cheap date,,,,one and done. :)