Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Clear margins, but cancer in lymph node

Options
trv4764
trv4764 Member Posts: 22

A little over a week ago, I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My surgeon just called me yesterday with the results. I was happy to hear that I have clear margins, but then she said there was a 2.5 mm metastatic carcinoma found in one of my 3 lymph nodes that were biopsied. How happy should I be that my margins are clear even though my lymph node is positive? She said her board will meet this week to determine if this factor will determine if I need chemo. Since recent studies have shown that a high percentage of people are unnecessarily being given chemo, she said these meetings can get pretty heated. If they decide that this node isn't cause enough for chemo, my sample will be sent for the Oncotype test.

I guess I'm wondering how to handle my mixed emotions regarding good news along with not so good news.

Can anyone relate to this/offer any advice?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi trv4764, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so very sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're so glad you've found our Community. You're sure to find our discussion boards an amazing source of advice, information, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

You're sure to get some helpful responses from others soon. But in the meantime, try to remember that the breast cancer experience is one full of ups and downs and a range of emotions. So, try to take the good info for what it is, and the not-so-great info you can meet head on with more information, and a plan. We're sure you'll feel better once you get some more clarification about your treatment and what's ahead. Whatever it is, we're all here!

Welcome again. Anything you need, please just let us know.

--The Mods

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 662
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi trv4764 Sorry you find yourself here but always happy to try to help you sort through your emotions. As the mods said breast cancer is a roller coaster of emotions for sure! Yes it stinks we have cancer but somehow we have to find something positive about our situation to help us through.

So the fact that margins are clear is great and your surgeon did a good job. The micro metastasis in your node is unfortunate but also fortunate that its very small. So many things factor into deciding on chemo or not for example grade of tumor , size , type etc. It’s great that tumor board meetings exist so all the doctors can discuss different opinions to give you the best care possible!

So focus on anything positive you can grab out of each situation. Allow yourself time to be angry,sad,scared etc it’s all ok! Your life has been turned upside down right now but you will get back to a new normal and find peace there eventually. Hang in there we are all here and rooting for the best outcome for you! Hug

• btwnstars
    btwnstars Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2022
    Options

Take the small wins where you can. It’s a long process sometime, celebrate the little things.

That’s awesome you had a great surgical result. Now the next phase is figuring out the rest of treatment. It’s hard to pace yourself thru all of the stages, but one day at a time.

Hope things work out for you.