Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy scar pain

Options

Eight years ago I had a lumpectomy for ductal carcinoma in situ. It resulted in a lot of scar tissue which has, for the last couple days, been painful to the touch and with certain movements.

Initially it felt like muscle strain which made sense because I recently started doing upper body light weights. But then it seemed to just be on the scar tissue itself. About five years ago I developed an infection in the breast with some warm swelling but that didn't feel like this.

I had a mammogram two months ago and there was nothing concerning. But the report said, as it always does, that the scar tissue makes it a hard read.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences

Comments

• tobyholicdeb
    tobyholicdeb Member Posts: 9
    Options

I had my breast exam 4 days ago and everything was fine. But for the past 2 days, my breast scar has been itching like crazy and is inflamed. It’s been 9 years since I had surgery…….what is going on?

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 868
    Options

The breast exam may have irritated the scar or caused a tiny break in the skin allowing bacteria or something else to get beneath. You should call the doctor's office to let them know and ask what they would recommend trying (antibiotic ointment, cortisone cream) to clear it up. Hopefully that will solve the problem but if not at least they are aware of the timing of the onset. I hope it gets better soon.