Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lump and indentation- negative mammogram

Options
atillathehen
atillathehen Member Posts: 3
edited September 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi all, I really hope I can get some answers. I’m 40 yrs old with no history of any breast conditions. About two months ago I noticed a dark spot on my left breast as I was getting in the shower. I was running late so I put it out of my mind until another couple weeks had passed and I noticed it again. Once I looked again I realized it was actually an indentation a couple inches long. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor and she found a lump in addition to the indentation. She referred me for a mammogram, sonogram and surgery following. I had my mammogram and sonogram a few days ago. The radiologist told me at the time he didn't see anything concerning. My doctor called me and they are referring me to a breast clinic in a much bigger city about an hour away. She never said anything initially about sending me to another city which makes me worry more. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    Needing follow ups after a mammogram is normal! It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong, it just means they aren't sure what's going on and need more information. It's really good that they are taking it seriously because many women (including me) have had concerning symptoms that were brushed off as "nothing" with no follow up. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing!
  • atillathehen
    Options

I am very grateful they are taking it seriously. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 103
    Options

I too found my lump after noticing an indentation (also left). I looked at it in the mirror for several weeks, thinking "that's not right, is it?" before feeling for a lump. I didn't know until later that an indentation is literally a textbook sign. The lump was very deep and I had to show my ob-gyn how to find it because she couldn't feel it. I'm glad they are sending you to a breast clinic and I hope that you have a benign result!

• parakeetsrule
    Options
    Mine was the other way around! I had a lump that kept getting bigger and bigger and everybody said it was normal tissue. It wasn't until an indentation formed that suddenly everyone was like "oh okay there's actually something going on".
  • atillathehen
    Options

Did either of you have a negative mammogram/sonogram before your diagnosis? Any symptoms besides the lump/indentation? I’ve noticed a random burning sensation in my breast and armpit. I’ve also strangely had goosebumps only on that side. I know only time (and a biopsy) will tell, just trying to gather as much information as possible.

• parakeetsrule
    Options

I was too young for regular mammograms so the first one I ever had was the one that confirmed the cancer. Around the the same time the indent formed, I was also having random stabbing pains, another classic symptom.