Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Erythema Nodosum

Has anyone experienced erythema nodosum? I developed 2 red tender lumps on my shin then added 2 more this week. It took a couple of doctors to figure it out but they have no idea why I got it. They have advised it will go away in 4 to 6 weeks. It's making me anxious as they have no explanation why I got it. Two weeks into radiation treatment and so far so good, just tired all the time.

Thank

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 817
    edited October 2022

nhcat - I had erythema nodusum during my two pregnancies. It seems to be caused by all kinds of things including infection, autoimmune disorders, viruses, fungi, medications and hormones (hence the pregnancy.) The first time it cleared up on its own postpartum. The second time I had to take a course of steroids after the baby was born. My thyroid went crazy during pregnancy causing a huge goiter so in my case the doctors blamed hormones. I wouldn't be surprised if chemo or rads set it going since they disrupt multiple body systems. Nsaids help if the lumps hurt. I wore loose pants so I only had to take them at night to counteract the weight of the blankets. I hope it clears up soon!

• nhcat
    nhcat Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2022

Thank you for the reply, makes me feel a little better. I've done some more research and don't feel so anxious now. Hope it goes away on it's own.