Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What to tell new employer?

tolsa
tolsa Member Posts: 3
edited October 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi, I just started a new job. I switched jobs JUST for better health insurance. Unfortunately, I went from mammogram to callback to biopsy, and now I'm due for an excisional biopsy, then the wait for results. I don't know what to say to my employer, it'll be day 5 on the job, and the surgery is scheduled for the whole day, + I'm not sure I want to attend meetings and calls the day after surgery. I already told them I had covid, to push the interview schedule out during the first biopsy, hoping that would just be it. Just looking for any advice as to how to take the time off and any subsequent appointments in case it is cancer, without giving them reason to fire me for potential cancer.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Just tell them you had an urgent medical situation to attend to. No need to go into detail. As for later, a lot depends on your particular job and it may be too soon to know. I had no problems telling my boss and keeping her up to date, and taking time off when I needed to.

Is there an HR department? They should have given you a whole bunch of information about what to do in situations like this. Or be able to advise you now.
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,430

Hi there, tolsa. We're sorry you find yourself here with these concerns! We agree with parakeetsrule, right now there's no need to go into detail. If the time comes where you need to take time off for recovery and treatments, your HR department or manager and your state's labor department will be able to provide information on how to request the necessary time off and work with your employer on accommodations (if required). Federal anti-discrimination laws, such as the ADA, provide job protections for employees dealing with various medical conditions, including cancer. We completely understand that the timing of all of this coinciding with the start of your new job is not ideal, but there are laws in place to protect one! You may also want to verify when your new insurance benefits take effect, as some companies and/or employer-sponsored plans have a waiting period of anywhere between 30-180 days.

The Mods

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Wow, what a mess! I feel sorry for you!

First, what did your first biopsy results say? Why are they doing the incisional second biopsy? The answer to these would help to have an idea of what the immediate future may look like as far as breast cancer and treatments.

Since I don't know what type of job you do, or if you have even received a breast cancer diagnosis, I won't give my opinion as to what you should do.

On the upside, this is an employee market, so to speak. Most every area of business is hard pressed for employees. There must be reasons they hired you over anyone else. There are ways to be truthful, while reassuring your boss that hiring you was the right thing for them to do and you won't let them down!

I can only imagine how terrifying all this is for you, because I know how hard it was for me to tell my boss I need surgery for breast cancer again (my third time) and I have 32+ years at my current job.

Thinking of you and wishing you well!

• parakeetsrule
    What's not good advice? I said that telling her job isn't something she needs to do. But she can if she wants to. Just depends on her specific situation.
  • tolsa

Thanks for the advice everyone. My first biopsy showed ALH so that's why I have to go in again to get it all removed. I'm 40 w/o any previous history so it is a shock, first mammogram. I know because I'm new, FMLA doesn't cover me so that's why I'm worried, and I know it's easier to just let someone go their first month on the job. I guess I'll go with urgent medical situation and just hope the results of the biopsy are good.

• mavericksmom

paraeetsrule, you misunderstood. I didn’t say I your advice wasn’t good, it was, I said it might not be the best.

• parakeetsrule
    Why?? I'm so confused. I didn't give specific advice, I said it depends, and shared my personal experience. And saying she doesn't need to go into detail is just a fact. She doesn't.

Tolsa, good luck with all this! It's hard enough on a normal day but combined with a new job I can't even imagine the stress. All the testing and waiting is the worst part so I hope you get answers soon!
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,430

Everyone's advice here is valid and should be taken into consideration.

Tolsa, this link on the Cancer and Careers website might be useful: https://www.cancerandcareers.org/en/at-work/legal-...

Let us know how things work out, and sending good vibes for a benign biopsy!

--The Mods

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 261

tolsa,

You don’t have to provide any details right now unless it is required for a day off early in the job. Call in sick for a day.

Unless HR provided specific details or your Employer provided a contract that stipulates specific sick leave on day one you may not have any recourse for a negative impact to your employment. So many factors are involved in it.

Mods and parakeetsrule gave great advice. The ADA does protect employees with a cancer dx but it is specific to the number of employees. If you are eligible to receive FMLA after 12 months you should fall under the ADA should you receive a cancer dx.

• mavericksmom

parakeetsrule, Don't worry about it! Seriously, I am not even going to try to explain to you what I meant. If I did, you would most likely think something else I said was against what you said. I will go back and edit my comment. I have been working for over 50 years and have had 6 major surgeries, two from breast cancer, and one coming up this week. (3rd breastcancer diganosis with mastectomy and tissue expander) I understand how illness or injury can feel from an employee and an employer viewpoint.

tolsa, I will PM you if I get a time. I am so sorry this happened to you this way! When I was diagnosed in 2003 it was similar. I had just been promoted to full time which came with great insurance. I had to wait a month before my insurance took effect. Since mom's put off their own care and take care of children and husband first, I had put off mammogram. As soon as my "month was up" and my insurance took effect, I made my mammogram appointment which ended with a diagnosis of IDC, so I have been in your shoes before. I truly wish you well!

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 781

Tolsa, I have learned the hard way that the less your boss knows, the better it is. Especially when the word C is mentioned. If I was you, I would tell my supervisor that you need to go for an unexpected procedure and you need x amount of days. By law, they don't need to know the details.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,218

Tolsa, I agree with lillyishere's advice. If you do need a doctor's note at any time ask them to write it on a generic hospital letterhead rather than one that says "department of breast oncology." I hope the biopsy is benign!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,158

Yes, in the vast majority of employment situations, the less said the better. I think this is particularly true if you are a recent employee and not certain what the outcome will be. All the best.

• mavericksmom

Tolsa, how are you and how did it go with your employer? Hope you did well with both!

• tolsa

Hi, I'm back. I got good news, the ALH they removed was benign, so no follow-up needed. I was very lucky in that I got a surgery slot on a Friday so I had the weekend to recover. It wasn't bad at all, even though he took out a pretty big chunk. I've just been saying I injured my shoulder to others and visibly wearing a sling to kind of hide it. Thank you everyone for the advice and support. I'm definitely motivated to stay with companies w/great health insurance now, even if the job is a little boring, just in case in the future.

• mavericksmom

Oh that is great news!!!! Yes, having great insurance is worth a little “boring” every now and then! So glad it all worked out well for you!

• parakeetsrule

Yay! So glad it went well and you got good news!