Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Multivitamin

infoiskey
infoiskey Member Posts: 5

i am breast cancer survivor for 2 yrs (++- IDCS). Can i take

Multivitamin

after the treatment. My doctor said i can take multivitamin. Can you recommend which brand is good for the patient like me?

Thanks

-XT

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    If your doctor wants you to take one they should be able to recommend one. My oncologist wants me taking calcium/VitD and they prescribe it for me so I don't have to go looking for one.
  • infoiskey

Thanks for your information. Actually i told my MO that i want to take multivitamin and he is ok with that. However after i read an article about preliminary finding that the breast cancer patients may not take CoQ10 as it may cause tumor recurrence. So i am trying to find multivitamin without CoQ10.

Regards

XT

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 184

hello sweetie Praise God I am a 28yr Survivor and believe in still here too encourage others going thru. Yes I've been taking multivitamin since treatment still till today. And when i started getting symptoms if a cold I take 2 500mg and it helps me. This is by the ok if my oncologist then and Pcp then and now. msphil idc stage2 3 mo chemo before and after L mast then got married we were planning our 2nd marriages at diagnosis. I was only 42 yrs old told back then in 90 s that was young. Then 7 wks rads and 5 yrs on tamoxifen. Hang in there.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 769

Pure Encapsulation is a great brand for supplements.

msphil, may I ask you if you had cancer in your nodes? 28 yr survivor is impressive. Thank you for giving us hope.

• infoiskey

Thank you for encouragement.

• infoiskey

Pure Encapsulation is a great brand, Which type you are taking? it seems so many options you can choose from Pure Encapsulation.

Thanks a million for your help.

• questionsmg
    questionsmg Member Posts: 1

I am one year out from stage 1 grade 1 lobular carcinoma. My oncologist sees my list of medications (otc, too). I was taking coq10 through out radiation. Now I've read the same thing Infoiskey indicated....Coq10 supposedly can cause recurrence as it defeats the purpose of radiation. I plan to ask my oncologist this month, but wondering if others are hearing/reading this. And, how it's impacted all the women that were posting in 2017 about taking it. Thank you.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 816

Hi @questionsmg , CoQ10 is an antioxidant with anti inflammatory properties. Antioxidants can reduce the effect of radiation but not by much since the doses are so small. There are many other antioxidants including vitamins B,C, D and E. My RO had me pause all antioxidants during treatment just as a precaution. Food contains antioxidants as well. If you took supplements during your treatment it probably didn’t change the result;; it would certainly not cause a recurrence. It’s a good question for your MO.