Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fall 2022 New Covid Shot?

Options
cowgal
cowgal Member Posts: 625

I was just curious if anyone had got it yet. My MO told me a couple of months ago to go ahead and get another booster but by that point, it made sense to wait until the new Covid shots came out and hopefully get better protection against the new strains. However, I am not sure from what I am reading if the Covid vaccines really do much good. Just curious what you all were doing and what you had heard about the new shot. Has anyone got the new vaccine? What were your side effects? Did you get the flu shot at the same time?

Comments

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2022
    Options

HI Cowgal,

I just got the new version of the vaccine last weekend (on Saturday). I saw my (new to me ) oncologist in September and they told me to get this version as it has some protection for the newer strains. I had a sore arm and was slightly achy but didn't have serious side effects. I did not get the flu shot at the same time but will most likely get that when I see my GP in a couple of weeks. So, at this point I have had all 5 covid vaccines. I am flying to visit/help my elderly parents in a few weeks so I also wanted a little extra protection, if it gives any. So far I have not come down with Covid, fingers crossed that continues.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2022
    Options

Cowgal,

I received the most recent booster and a flu shot mid-September with no problems. However, last Saturday I felt I was experiencing something a bit different from my usual fall allergies. I took a home antigen test and it was positive for Covid. I had been lucky avoiding it but knew I couldn't outrun it forever, even vaxxed and boosted to the max as I've been. Doubtless thanks to those shots,my case has been very mild--mainly congestion and a weird, intermittent headache, with a slight fever at the outset. I got an antibody infusion on Monday and am hoping that helps me shake it off completely. We have a trip planned to NYC next week and have tickets to three shows. I would hate to give them up!

Tina

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited October 2022
    Options

I got my COVID booster last month (Pfizer), and I had no SEs other than a bit of soreness in my arm. I am hoping it continues to keep COVID at bay or at least gives me mild symptoms if I do get it. Tina is an example of the fact that the booster won’t necessary prevent the disease, but it should help. I received my flu shot two days ago. I feelthat I have done what I can to get through the winter.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,587
    edited October 2022
    Options

Ive got to call and get this booked/done ASAP (the flu and covid combo) so its out of my mind as Im not going to have any time after the second week of November. I did get the newer BA2 strain in August but even the 'older' original shots (I had 4 - 2 AZ, 2 Pfizer, given in early April) gave me enough protection so it was a lot like Tina's experience. By the time they got a hold of me to offer the infusion, I had already turned a corner and so declined it. In a way Im hesitant to therefore get the updated covid jab but what the hell, may as well.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'm planning to get it as soon as I can. It's not a small benefit and I'll need all the help I can get. I have a friend who got long covid and is so disabled over a year later he still can't work full time. And he was previously healthy! Not a risk worth taking when there's a proven vaccine. The new vaccine targets the covid strains that were NOT covered by the previous vaccines and boosters. So our chances of dying or getting long covid is a lot higher if we get covid now and don't have the new vaccine.
  • sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2022
    Options

I received the new bivalent Moderna booster three weeks ago, had a very mild headache that evening and was a bit more tired than usual. Felt fine the next day, other than a large raised welt on my arm for a few days, which has since gone completely away. Fewest side effects of any of the vaccines so far for me - in total, I've now had five shots of the Moderna vaccine.

As so many of us experience from our meds and treatments, my white blood cells and neutrophils are all significantly below normal, so I am grateful for all the protection against covid that I can get!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,033
    edited October 2022
    Options

I had booked an appointment last month to get the newest booster along with the flu shot (which dh and I get every year) when lo and behold, I got a mild case of shingles! It was the weirdest and darnedest thing. You aren't supposed to get the vaccine when your body is compromised like that, so I had to wait until it cleared up which it has. However, now I'm soon to get a bone and ct scan and I don't want the vaccine to interfere with that, so I plan to get the booster and flu shot when scans are out of the way.

Dh and I had Covid before the vaccine came out, even tho we'd followed all guidelines to prevent it. We have no idea how we got it. I was very sick for 14 days with cough and fever. Was never that sick in my life. Then the fever broke and cough went away. It still took several months before I felt I had more of my normal energy. We live in a small community and were acquainted with over 20 people who died from Covid: people we'd worked with, community leaders, relatives of relatives, relatives of neighbors. I live with mbc and don't wish for Covid to take me out! We got the vaccine and boosters as soon as we were able and our adult son did, too.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited October 2022
    Options

I got the Moderna booster 5 days ago and besides a sore arm I had no side effects and neither did DH. I have had 6 doses- 3 primary (full dose) and now 3 boosters which is what they recommended for immunocompromised people. Also got the flu shot (senior) and no issues.

I got Covid- in June- very mild and I took Paxlovid which worked very well- (tastes bad, tho) also, no idea where I got it- the vaccines don't prevent transmission, just severe illness, hospitalization and death. If they make a nasal spray vaccine, it may prevent transmission (but, would be a live virus vaccine- like nasal flu vaccines) and not appropriate for us.

still mask anywhere indoors and don't go to many of those places, many people still mask in my area- lots of young people do.

• kristifromsandiego
    kristifromsandiego Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2022
    Options

I got the Pfizer BIV booster and the flu vaccination yesterday in the same arm. I was expecting to feel terrible today because all the other boosters I have made me felt sick. Finally something Good. Other than a bit of a sore arm from the flu shot I feel fine. No real reaction to either of them. I am hopeful everyone else will feel the same. The anticipation is the worst. Good luck Kristi

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,587
    edited October 2022
    Options

Quick question - is it possible to get a Pfizer booster at a Walgreens or something? Do they give you proof? I can't actually get through to my GP (as per usual) to book my booster, and while I could book my NHS flu shot via the Boots pharmacy, Covid is a different situation. It would be easier to get my booster in the US at Thanksgiving if its readily available even if the records don't marry up.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,033
    edited October 2022
    Options

sondra, Walgreens is exactly where I’m getting my booster shot; it’s three minutes from my house so very convenient. I have to make the appt online and show my Covid vaccine card when I go. I am not sure how it would work for someone from out of the country.

• cowgal
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks everyone for the responses. I had my monthly shot day last Tuesday (Faslodex and XGEVA) and it usually makes me pretty tired for a couple of days so I did not want to get my flu and Covid booster the same day even tho the oncology nurse said I could. I thought about trying to get it set up for last Friday but my side effects from everything else made mobility, inflammation and pain level an issue, so I didn't. I am doing some better today and hoping that I will feel well enough to get both of those shots this week.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,084
    edited October 2022
    Options

Sondra - I got my Covid shots at Walmart pharmacy and they provided the paper vaccination record and online documentation. I think they would have to give you a paper record, since people have had to show proof of vaccinations. Sam's Club pharmacy and CVS pharmacy have online documentation for the other vaccinations (flu, shingles, pneumonia) - you just have to register for an account. It would be nice to be able to pull them all to one place.

• cowgal
    edited November 2022
    Options

I got both shots last Thursday. Minor side effects for me. Just some soreness in arm and some additional fatigue above normal but back to normal by afternoon of the following day