Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What does it mean for a lump to be moveable?

Options
rachelmchll
rachelmchll Member Posts: 6
edited October 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I can't seem to wrap my head around what this means. I have a lump in my breast that according to my doctor is mobile, but I don't know what that means. I can feel the top of it, but it's definitely attached to something, I can't feel the underside of it. I trust my doctor, I just keep seeing this idea that cancerous lumps are anchored and to me (fully acknowledging I don't know what I'm talking about), my lump feels pretty anchored. It is definitely attached to something.

Comments

• K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    Options

Rachel...

When I found mine over a year ago, it seemed to be movable and I only felt it in the shower. My concern in what you wrote is if the Dr ordered a test? That is what I had done. It does not mean the lump is cancerous. I just was not clear in your post.

• rachelmchll
    rachelmchll Member Posts: 6
    Options

I did find a lump a few days ago and met with my doctor. She was very reassuring in stating that my lump does not feel concerning or alarming, even stating “benign breast exam” in the appointment notes. She did decide to refer me to an ultrasound though for “added reassurance”, but she said she wasn’t worried at all about what she felt. In her note she said that the lump was soft and mobile. To me it feels hard and stuck. I just don’t know what people mean by moveable lumps. Mine feels attached to something, I can’t feel all sides of it, so that’s what’s gotme concerned. I’m trying to trust my doctor but I know they don’t always get it right. My ultrasound is on the 24th and the wait is killing me.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 922
    Options

Rachel - While an experienced doctor has insight on whether a lump is concerning or not, imaging (i.e. the ultrasound) is much more accurate. I'm glad your doctor scheduled this to reassure you. Waiting is really hard. Try to distract yourself by staying busy. Ten days is not that long a time even though it seems like forever now. I hope the ultrasound gives you good news.

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    Options

I’ve had 3 lumps over the past 25 years, and all were benign. I had the same wondering each time, because they didn’t feel soft to me and I’d drive myself nuts trying to decide if they were moveable. Maybe they need to find a different term for that characteristic, because “moveable” makes it sounds like you should be able to slide it from one side of your breast to the other. If I touched them just right I’d feel sort of a sliding/scooting sensation, but I had to come at them from just the right angle, and at other angles they felt more stuck. I think it’s a really good sign that your doctor, who has felt all sorts of lumps, is pretty sure it’s benign, and you’ll be glad to have the reassurance, even though it’s unsettling to get tested.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    I wonder that too. I imagine it's something that doctors learn over time from feeling many, many different lumps, and they are able to distinguish minor differences us newbies can't. Kind of like how when the doctor is looking at an ultrasound and saying "here's your lung, your liver, a rib, the tumor, your diaphragm, and a stomach" and all I see is a blurry blob of grays and whites that could be the inside of a cat for all I know.
  • K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    Options

In the tues zoom meet up, one member spoke about thinking and rethinking. Continuing to work ourselves up with negative thoughts...over and over.

Instead, keep doing the next indicated thing. Dishes, gardening, a bath or shower, laundry. You will get the test, you will know. In will be something you are powerless to predict. Just know that these tests are for your good. Doctors and your medical team will support you. We here will encourage and support you. Kid gloves. Treat yourself with kid gloves.