Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

talk to Physician who has cancer

Options

Don't really know if this post belong here, whoever moderating this group please move to appropriate section.

How does one talk to primary care physician about one's fear of cancer when the Physician herself is in remission? One doesn't want to trigger any worry for her.

Thanks,

Nguyen

(Wife Linda, stage IV)

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited October 2022
    Options

Although that is very respectful and considerate of you, my personal feeling is that it shouldn’t matter. She is a professional and I am sure that she is committed to caring for all of her patients needs. If patients are hesitant to speak their minds to her, because of her personal circumstances, can she really be effective in her position? You can certainly express empathy but she still has a job to do.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited October 2022
    Options

My oncologist is a survivor of two different types of cancer. I love that he totally understands how it feels to sit "on the other side of the desk."

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited October 2022
    Options

Good point, lw422. Physicians who have been patients often gain a perspective on a given disease that one can only gain by having gone through a similar experience. Again, we should not have to be afraid of triggering them due to their personal experiences. They are doctors and patients need to be comfortable discussing all aspects of health with them.