Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Needing Information from anyone other than Google

stefanie1121
stefanie1121 Member Posts: 6
edited December 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Good morning,

I am in desperate need of information from someone other than google. I had a biopsy done a week ago and just received the final results which might as well be in sand script for all the sense it makes. The only thing I was told by my doctor was to meet with a surgeon. i am hoping someone here can better explain the following results as my appointment with the surgeon is in 4 weeks!

Final Diagnosis

A. Right breast, upper outer quadrant, stereotactic vacuum-assisted core biopsy:

: Focal atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) in a background of multifocal flat epithelial atypia (FEA) and columnar cell change with luminal calcifications.

: The surrounding breast tissue shows focal sclerosing adenosis with calcifications and numerous calcifications present within benign lobules.

BIRADS: 4

Comments

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165

I just replied on your other post but since is a new thread and not hidden in an old one I will repost so that it’s out in the open

BIRADS 4 means the findings are suspicious but not classified as cancer Hyperplasia means that there are more cells than usual and they are no longer lined up in just the 2 layers. (that's from American cancer society)

This means that ADH is not yet a pre-cancer, although it is linked to an increased risk of getting breast cancer later on.

If ADH is found on needle biopsy, more tissue in that area usually needs to be removed to be sure that nothing more serious is also present in the breast. The tissue that is removed is looked at under the microscope, and if nothing more serious is found, no other treatment is needed.

so obviously you have answers but no answers right now and it may be a tough 4 weeks as you wait for the surgeon meeting. Know this even if they had found something that they said was cancer doesn’t mean your appt with the surgeon would be any sooner. It’s tough to wait when there are so many unknowns but try not to focus on Google and all the other possibilities. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping for the best possible ou

• stefanie1121
    stefanie1121 Member Posts: 6

i cant find anything definitive as to what luminal calcifications means.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916

Hi stefanie. Both of my sisters had similar situations decades ago. At that time they both had all calcifications removed. Neither has had any trouble with bc since. I didn't have calcifications, just a cancerous area very close to the sternum that didn't get spotted for a very long time on a mammo. Also my daughter in law who was in her 40's had a similar situation and decided to have a double mastectomy with implants. She wanted no more worry. She is doing beautifully and looks amazing. No more bc worry for her for 11 years so far. Your situation seems very manageable. Take it one step at a time. You seem to be at a very curable point no matter what the surgeon recommends. Please keep us posted?

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828

Hi Stefanie1211, So my personal experience with ADH was I had microcalcifications also that looked suspicious and had an excisional biopsy which showed ADH. Typically they like to remove them. They are considered benign but you have an increased risk due to the atypical cells. Many women who have ADH never develop breast cancer. Nevertheless they like to follow you to be thorough. For me my ADH was followed for 9 years and in year 9 I developed breast cancer. That still doesn't necessarily mean that my original ADH was related to my cancer 9 years later.

There is something called a breast cancer risk assessment, link below. This is used to evaluate your risk factor of getting breast cancer. It just gives the doctor a foundation based on percentages. If they feel you are a higher risk they will usually image you twice a year, being a mammo then MRI alternating six months apart.

https://bcrisktool.cancer.gov/calculator.html

Hope this helps you, best wishes and sending good vibes your way.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

Hi Stefanie1121,

Just checking in to see how you're doing, and if we can help you find any other information. Please check back in when you know more.

--The Mods