Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2023 Surgery Buddies?

Options

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

For you all having mastectomies, Mine recovery went really well no pain. DIEP was pretty easy too, the fat grafting was really sore though.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 106
    Options

Good luck to everyone having surgery tomorrow!

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    Options

Meow,

I had my gallbladder removed about 18 years ago. Recovery was fine, and my digestive track has been OK. I just avoid eating seriously fatty foods and never make recipes that call for heavy cream. Best of luck for your surgery!

• momgoose
    momgoose Member Posts: 71
    Options

meow13,

Best wishes tomorrow and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers - we'll get through this and after tomorrow....at least we'll be making some progress.

Christina

• momgoose
    Options

k-gobby, coloradomom1,

Bests wishes to you both as you have surgery and recover. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers - we can do this!

Christina

• kercove
    kercove Member Posts: 4
    Options

Sending good vibes and healing wishes to those having surgery tomorrow. You got this! Onward to healing. xoxo

• kadril22
    kadril22 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Best wishes tomorrow, momgoose and meow13. Thinking of you.

• nannyof8
    nannyof8 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for posting this! I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Jan. 6th. I was diagnosed the first week of December and it feels like waiting forever, I am ready to have it done. It will be great to have some others to talk to that are going through the same. Best wishes and prayers to all of you!

• meow13
    Options

I doing ok, low oxygen though. Doing that breathing thingy to expand lungs. Doctor said visually gallbladder looks fine, but rock hard stone found could have given me pain.

• meow13
    Options

Just a little sore now. Hope you all are doing well. I remember my mastectomy was hard emotionally my DIEP was a bit more sore physically.

• bridget28
    bridget28 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My surgery scheduled Jan 12. Felt cool at first but as the date gets nearer it's kinda daunting. Had the worst 2 weeks of my life before the PET scan worrying that it may have spread, thank goodness PET came back good. Another big decision I've taken is no reconstruction. Hopefully I am mentally strong.

• momgoose
    Options

I'm back from my DMX. It was rougher than I expected physically, if I'm being perfectly honest, but being back home in my own clothes and surroundings helps a lot. I'll post more when I'm a little less sore (it's just about time for more pain meds!) but I wanted to let everyone know that I made it through and now I can hopefully focus on recovery and reconstruction! (But WOW - the expanders feel weird!)

Christina

• meow13
    Options

Hope things improve soon. I had a much better day today but I did a little too much house cleaning. Resting now.

• kercove
    kercove Member Posts: 4
    Options

momgoose and meow13, I'm so happy to hear you are both on the other side of surgery and can start recovering. I hope each day gets easier! I'm heading in on Monday and feeling ready to put this behind me.

• tara484
    tara484 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Glad to hear from you. I was wondering how you were doing. Yes, you need your rest, praying every day gets better for you!!! Keep us posted when you feel up to it.

• kadril22
    Options

Meow13 and momgoose, so glad to hear you ladies are home and recovering.

• tara484
    Options

Hi Bridget28, I am thinking of you!!! I am scheduled for a DM Jan 16th I know what you're saying I go back and forth some days it's let's get this done I just want to move on, I guess we have to focus on that we are all in this together and are there for each other.

• meow13
    Options

I took opioid pain killer, grand total 3, done now. Had constipation so I took 2 pink ducalax last night, well it worked but major discomfort cramps stomach ache and really sore bottom. Feeling better now.

• nannyof8
    Options

meow13, sorry you had trouble with the pain meds, thankfully I have not had that trouble. 3rd day post op and I can tell I feel much better today. Swelling is beginning to go down, now I am anxious to get test results and see where we go from here.

• K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    Options

Hi gals!

Interesting note. I had my surgery on Dec 28th. All in all it had gone well. My post is about surgical drains and stitches. I had this surgery at a different hospital with my same two surgeons. The two hospitals had differences. I had my own room at this new one after recovery till I went home the next day. Great nurses. It was the 29th, and this wing was getting some days off. I received 8 individual sterile wipe packets and 6 safety pins for my drains. Not a single gauze, roll of tape, drain sponge pad or bacterial cream. Nothing. I got a week plus at the other hospital one year ago. I did have supplies left and I bet extra gauze pads, just in case.

So drains are interesting. My right worked. But the left that had my breast removed and an implant put in did not drain. I called triage and put in the portal no draining on the right. Calling and using each doctors/hospital portals are necessary. It provided the evidence that I did keep them informed and proof.

So at my Post ops, the breast surgeon sent a text and pictures of my swollen side to the plastics Dr. By the time I got to the plastics Dr, I was scheduled for a ultra sound. At my appt, the on call plastics Dr, mine had called him from the airport as he was leaving town. This new Dr set a surgery that night to remove the drain and put another. What he did different, was put a cover around the drain that has made the daily empties easier. No drain sponge to tape around it 2-3 times a day. WOW!! My 5th drain and this new Dr put this on. A larger drain tube to help with prevent clogs as well. So far, excellent. I must tell him that the week I get that cover around the tube entry has made it so much easier. It is the 3rd full day after. You must have less than 30ml all day for 3 days to get the tube removed. My left one came out post op. This one not likely till next week.

60 years with never a drain. 62 years and i have had Five. All manageable. All necessary.

• meow13
    Options

Just got my test results. NO EVIDENCE OF MALIGNANCY. Yahoo....

• nannyof8
    Options

Great news meow13! I just got some results last night, lymph nodes were negative and good margins on the tumor. Thankful and relieved! I’m already dreading radiation but thankful to have someone to compare notes with! 😁

• pjc5399
    pjc5399 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Just checking in. Hope everyone who had surgery already is recovering well and all my best thoughts to those coming up soon. Keep us updated on how you are doing when you feel up it! I’m a week and a half away now. This week is filled with lots of appointments. I really feel for those who have to deal with work or young kids on top of this. Still feels surreal. I’m trying very hard to temper my expectations of how everything will go. Kinda obsessed with watching vlogs at the moment. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing but I’m one of those people who likes to research so the more info the better I feel.

• momgoose
    Options

Hi ladies! I'm checking in again to wish all those with surgeries coming up this week all the best. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for an uneventful surgery and quick safe recovery. I am a week out from my double mastectomy and I have to admit, I'm a lot more sore than I anticipated. I am also out of pain meds (well, I have 2 Percocets left, but only because I have tried to stretch them). I don't know what anyone else's pain med situation looked like, but I was sent home with a 5 day supply of Percocet (30 total) with no taper plan. I saw the end coming and tried to taper (as I have always done before with surgeries with no issues) but I just haven't been comfortable enough to do that this time around. I did contact the PS office (as directed) but they only recommended alternating Ibuprofen and the Percocet. Tonight will be my first night without any Rx pain meds. I have a feeling it will be rough, but I don't have any other options. I hate taking the stuff anyway, but if your body hurts too much to relax, it's awfully hard to recover properly. I'm baffled by such a limited pain med prescription. I also have what I'm fairly sure is some nerve pain, but I did not come with anything to treat that or with muscle relaxers. It might be an interesting next few days/weeks!

I cannot wait to be done with these drains. They don't necessarily hurt, but they are SO cumbersome and just plain uncomfortable to deal with. I go for my first follow-up on Friday, and I feel confident that 2 will be removed as they have always been very low producers, but the other two...well, I just don't know yet. We're definitely seeing progress, but the PS office is an hour away, so it's not just a quick pop in to get them removed.

Sleeping in a recliner has been working pretty well. I have trouble falling asleep/staying asleep in general, but not due to discomfort, so that is good. I do miss sleeping on my side though. I can tell it's going to be quite a while before that happens again.

A word of caution - ladies who are facing surgery, do not underestimate the power of the pain meds/anesthesia to cause constipation. I truly was prepared with colace (3 times a day) and all sorts of high fiber fruits and veggies, but I still cannot go, in part because I was also put on a prophylactic antibiotic for 3 weeks (4 times a day) that has caused awful constipation for me in the past. I didn't know that was going to be prescribed.

Anyhow, I'm just rambling a bit, but I know I always found it helpful to hear real people's experiences, so I'm being real about the issues I have had. I hope my final pathology report will be in tomorrow. I'm getting nervous again waiting for that.

Christina

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    Options

Meow! Awesome news! I am so happy for you!

• pjc5399
    pjc5399 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Momgoose. Appreciate the update! It really is helpful to hear everyone's experiences and advice so ramble away! Hope your pain starts to lessen soon! Had pre-op appt with BS and I know, in my case at least, it's the PS that prescribes the meds (that appt is Fri) so we will see. My understanding, though, is that they are very limiting with narcotic pain relief and would rather you not take it at all (I'd rather not take it either). They do a nerve block during the surgery and will prescribe a muscle relaxer and something else (name escaping me at the moment…remembered…gabapentin)plus OTC pain relief. I have a high pain tolerance so we shall see. I asked about starting the stool softener and was told it's generally the narcotics rather than the anesthesia that causes a problem. I, too, drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies but maybe it wouldn’thurt to be prophylactic about it. Thanks for the advice! And crossing fingers and toes for a good path report!

• kadril22
    Options

I had my bilateral mx with tissue expander placement on January 9th. All went well, my PS told my hubby there was good blood flow, and I felt good upon waking & getting settled in my room. Two drains, average output. I was up to the bathroom fairly quickly and made two trips with minimal assistance getting there and zero assistance while in there.

I was surprised but pleased with how good I felt. About midnight my hubby helped me to the bathroom and stepped out. I peed and stood up and remember thinking how heavy the right drain bulb felt and how full it looked. My hubby stepped in to check on me—something he hadn’t done my first two trips to the bathroom—at just the instant to catch me as I passed out. He eased me onto the toilet and called for help. I came to with him and a tech and nurse trying to get me to talk and hold up my head, neither of which I could do immediately. I was clammy, disoriented, and weaker than I’d ever felt in my life. I kept mumbling that I needed to lie down, needed to get in the bed, but everyone was unsure how to accomplish this. Don’t ask me how, I don’t remember, but somehow mind over matter because I knew I HAD to get there, I pushed myself up, leaned on everyone, and walked to the bed. Once in, they tilted the bed to elevate my feet—hubby says I didn’t want that & fussed, but I don’t remember—checked my blood pressure (it was very low), and brought me back to stable quickly. I felt weak but not in pain.

The right drain bulb was full, and I was bleeding heavily on that side. For the rest of the night, they worked to slow the bleeding. I was filling the bulb every hour and once half filled it immediately upon them emptying it. About 4:00, at my doctor’s instructions, I was wrapped very tightly in a large Ace bandage. It was to stay on for an hour. While sitting up to get wrapped, I felt light-headed again, and they quickly laid me back down. When I was checked at 5:20, the bleeding had slowed a little but apparently not enough, and I was told a blood transfusion could be necessary. A PA from my doctor’s office was in my room at 6:00, another PS from my doctor’s office was in my room at 7:00, my PS was in my room at 8:00, and I was taken back to surgery at 9:30. A bleed was found and repaired, and a third drain was put in to help with the pooling at the bottom of the right breast. Interestingly, the bleed was right at the site of my November biopsy from which I had also developed a hematoma.

Once in my room, I felt good again—even better. I wasn’t allowed to eat til that evening, wasn’t allowed back to the bathroom by myself, and my blood pressure stayed a little low for the remainder of my stay. But I felt good.

On a side note, in the chaos of the heavy bleeding on the right side, nobody noticed until the PS came in at 7:00 that the left drain bulb was completely dry. It had apparently been stopped up since 9:00 or 10:00 the previous evening. By the time I was taken back to surgery, I was swollen tight on both sides.

I came home Wednesday night. Thursday morning was rough, but it’s been better and better every day. I took pain meds as scheduled until this morning. I decided to take as needed today, and I haven’t needed any. However, I’ve had two blisters form today on my left breast above the incision, and I’m a little devastated about it. I feel good, damnit! Let me feel good and heal!

PS has advised care of the blisters until my appointment Monday morning

• tara484
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I love reading the post. I had a double mastectomy yesterday January 16, I didn't go for reconstructive for personal reason nothing medical. I stayed one night in the hospital leaving today. I had one narcotic yesterday before surgery but have had Tylenol ever since no pain just sore when I get up but very manageable. I just want everyone to know I was really scared before surgery and I can't believe how good I feel. God Bless everyone that is going through this and if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• coloradomom1
    coloradomom1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

kadril22- wow, what an ordeal! I am glad to hear that it sounds like you are on the mend. I had a similar ordeal. My surgery was on 1/13, bilateral mastectomy. I woke up at 3am and noticed my left drain (side with the sentinel node biopsy) was full and leaking. Right side a little less than half full. I called the nurse, who emptied the drains, checked my vitals, checked my incisions, and left. Ten minutes later, my left drain was full to the point of leaking again. My nurse came back to empty it and checked my incisions. Within the short amount of time she was out of my room, I had developed a giant bilateral hematoma. She was quite alarmed, took a photo, and called the charge nurse. Three other nurses came in to evaluate the situation, photos were taken, and my BS was contacted. I was quite out of it throughout this whole thing but I was told it looked like this was an emergency situation that would require me to go back to the OR and a possible blood transfusion. My surgeon arrived and evaluated the situation. She had me sit upright and stayed with me for about an hour to monitor the situation. She didn’t want me back in the OR and was hopeful she could get the bleeding stopped. Thankfully, it worked. The bleeding began to slow, and my drain returned to a normal output within the hour. She had me spend the rest of the night upright to keep the bleeding under control. Whew, I was scared. The hematoma is still there. I am a deep shade of purple and black from under my left arm almost to my back, across my chest, to the front of my right armpit. I’m grateful I went with an aesthetic flat closure because I’m not sure I could tolerate a bra over the hematoma. I’m emptying the right drain as expected, three times a day. The left one fills more rapidly- I’m emptying it at around half full, which means I empty that one about five times a day.

I’ve been home since the afternoon of 1/14. I’m so happy to be here, where I can sleep and rest, unlike in the hospital. My dad came to stay with me during at least the first few weeks of my recovery. I’m beyond grateful to have him here. I am a single mom, and it would be a big challenge for me to manage everything on my own!

Momgoose- I hear you on the pain med situation! I am experiencing the same thing. I was sent home with a 5 day supply of Vicodin. I am trying to push through some of the pain, like if I know I’m just going to be sitting in my recliner and could maybe wait an extra hour for pain medication, I do that to conserve my supply of medication. I feel like 5 days isn’t enough, and that no taper plan is a problem. Today I am going to try alternating with ibuprofen and creating my own taper plan.

The best news for me is that the preliminary biopsy results of the lymph node showed no signs that there was no sign the cancer was in my lymph node. Such a relief! I should have full pathology results by the end of this week.

• meow13
    Options

I wish there were effective pain medications that didn't cause constipation or stomach stuff. I only took 2 or 3 oxycodones over 2 days and paid for it, took stool softeners too. I took 2 pink ducolax pills didn't think they worked thought about taking another thank God I didn't. Flood gates of hell broke loose those pills are evil. Recovered now for the most part.