Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Here - Merry Christmas, oh and you have cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• rosebud52
    rosebud52 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My doctor prescribed low dose Xanax. I took that 30 minutes before the procedure. I did deep breathing exercises, visualized myself on a sunny beach, squishing my toes in the sand and watching the waves break on the shore. I also prayed. It was not as claustrophobic as a regular MRI but the noises of the equipment is still very loud. I was given headphones and was able to choose the type of music. You have a panic button you can push but that ends the scan. You would have to start over or totally cancel the procedure. It’s all about mind over matter. I think you should give it a go. Risk versus reward

• jonesd01
    jonesd01 Member Posts: 13
    Options

hi - our diagnosis are almost identical. Heading in for mastectomy 1/12 - scattered miccrocalc suspicicous and 5 small tumors plus one that is .8cm - seems to be growing but may be my imagination or result of biopsy? est and pro positive her2 neg. Praying for no lymph node involvement but wont know until after surgery. Sigh. So much waiting and nerves. I havent selected an oncologst yet but may travel - I am in TN. Would love to know thoughts on who is leading edge in breast oncology or uses combination integrative/functional medicine.

Wishing you all the best!

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hi sweetie this is for Inspiration. I was diagnosed as we were planning. Our 2nd marriages found lump in shower was working in O R for 15yrs as Instrument tech then had own office in city workers clinic here in Philly in Peds. So when found lump in shower I knew what it was called fiance at time called PCP scheduled needle biopsy at clinic I saw reaction of my colleagues and u know for sure. Then it all began went to hospital had all test done. No history of breast cancer in family diagnosed with idc stage 2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before after L mast wanted lumpectomy cause of coming marriage oncologist n fiance suggested go with mastectomy Praise God this yr will be 29 yr breast cancer survivor. So I cone back here since bout 2006 to encourage and inspire others. Then we got married and 7 ask roads 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Pray this helps you. msphil. Hope Positive thoughts and Family Friends.

• anniepnw
    anniepnw Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Jones - The same diagnosis was confirmed today for me after the MRI. The initial routine mammogram hadn't picked up anything in the left breast, and I am SO grateful for the MRI that found three suspicious 5 mm somethings on the left side. Now the decision whether to go single or double mastectomy is super simple, of course, it's a double! I was leaning this way anyway. Also, I will very likely go flat; the more I am reading about the reconstruction, the more it looks that, quite often, there are multiple surgeries and complications. Don't want any of that.

As for the oncologist, I would go to the closest premier cancer center you've got. When we lived in Houston, my fist husband was treated at MDA. Sloan Kettering in NY, Dana Farber in Boston, Fred Hutch in Seattle, etc etc etc. Best of luck. It's...well, tough. I almost hyperventilated while opening the MRI report in My Chart. And I thought i was tough. Nah.

• concernedaboutresults
    Options

Hi Jones! I am not sure who is leading edge in TN, but if you find out please share the info with me.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 110
    Options

Anniepnw- I had a similar situation to yours a few months ago. Mammogram/US/Biopsy showed 2 cancerous tumors on left but nothing on right. MRI picked up suspicious spot on right, and although MRI biopsy (so painful!) proved benign, I decided to have the double mastectomy with flat closure. I too did not want the multiple surgeries or possible complications of reconstruction. My BMX was in September and I am happy with the results.

• anniepnw
    anniepnw Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Maggie! Thanks for responding. I am not looking to truly validate the decisions I am about to finalize but it helps to know that someone else in a very similar position ultimately made the same decisions; like, the logic still works, right?? (sorry if it doesn't make much sense, I feel my head is about to explode, and it's been a new normal for the last 25 days)

How was your recovery after your DMX? Drains scare me. And I am a side/tummy sleeper arrgh and really don't sleep well on my back. Guess beggars can't be choosers.

I noticed you had IHC done. May I ask why? The FISH test wasn't enough?

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 110
    Options

Recovery wasn't that bad, but sleeping was definitely the biggest issue I had. I slept on the couch for a month. I had two pillows propped up on the arm of the couch and that gave my back strong support. I could lean into the back of the couch and that sort of tricked my brain into thinking I was laying on my side. When I transitioned back to bed it was still another week or so before I could sleep on my side, but I was so excited when that finally happened. I felt so much better!

Don't be scared of the drains. They are a pain, but not painful. I kept mine on a lanyard. My husband helped me empty them but I was easily able to do it myself when he wasn't available. The whole healing process was slow and tedious but not painful.

I don't know why they did the IHC test instead of FISH. I guess that's just how my hospital's lab does it.