Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hysteroscopy and D& C Question

ab45
ab45 Member Posts: 153

Hello,

I have been on tamoxifen for about 15 months. I developed an enlarged uterus. I went to obgyn today and had an ultrasound. It showed uterine thickening, when I asked Dr how thick, he replied and said a 4..not sure what that means..He scheduled a d&c and hysterscopy. Has anyone had this done? What was your recovery? Did you have anesthesia? Did it show pre cancer or cancer? What was your treatment? Just hearing the word biopsy has given me anxiety and PTSD..Thank you!

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363

Sounds like your doing the right thing, my SIL had the extremely rare cancer related to taking tamoxifen. Get it taken care of ASAP my SIL doctor ignored her concern it was discovered too late.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639

Ab45 Sorry you are having anxiety related to this biopsy , very understandable! I had a hysteroscopy and D&C and yes it can determine cancerous and noncancerous conditions or precancerous type cells. I did have anesthesia it was done at a surgical center and it took about an hour. I had mild cramping and some light bleeding for a day or two after. I went right back to work without any issues. Out of all the biopsies and surgeries over the years I found it to be pretty easy. I hope you get good results and have an easy recovery. Take care.

• ab45

Cookie 54, what was your treatment plan after the surgery? Were you on tamoxifen and remain on it?

• ab45

meow13, sorry about your SIL

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 160

ab45, after 15 months on tamoxifen, I experienced heavy bleeding. My MO took me off tamoxifen and recommended a transvaginal ultrasound that showed an enlarged uterus - 24 mm. (The regular thickness of the endometrium should be around 8mm.) Since these findings were abnormal, a sonohysterography (saline infusion to see inside the uterus) was the next step, during which large polyps were discovered inside my endometrium. So, two months later I had the polyps removed during a hysteroscopy. I also had a biopsy at the same time and, fortunately, no abnormal tissue was found and no further investigations were clinically deemed necessary. As a side note, I stopped hormonal treatment after all this, as my MO didn't want me back on tamoxifen and an AI would have provided little benefits versus side effects for my particular case. I don't know if you will have the same procedures, but, if you do, I'd like you to know that even though I find them unpleasant, with a physical discomfort similar to monthly periods, only threefold worse, I was able to drive myself to all of them, except for the hysteroscopy, when I had anaesthetic and I needed a ride after. I hope you will get answers soon! ♥️

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245

Hi,

After taking Tamoxifen for 4 years I had thickening that was noted on ultrasound. Dr. waited one month to see if it was cycle related. Still there. Went in for Hysteroscopy/D&C outpatient hospital. Was quick and was home in few hours. Everything was good. No cancerous or precancerous cells. The thickening was due to a polyp. Sonos after have been good. Very light bleeding and up and back to work next day.

• ab45

BeachtoBeach, do you knownhow thick your uterine lining was?

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639

ab45 , My procedure wasn't done because of enlarged uterus . I was having abnormal bleeding, all wound up being ok with my uterus.

Best of luck!