Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

OFAFF (omental free flap) reconstruction?

sarahkatherine
sarahkatherine Member Posts: 1
edited January 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

Friends - I had a double mastectomy in 2015 with implants. They are now encapsulated and very uncomfortable so I am scheduled to have them removed next month.

The approach my surgeons will take - so that I will not have implants again- the surgery planned is called OFAFF (omental free flap) which is the autologous breast reconstruction where your omentum (a curtain of fat from the abdomen) is harvested to create your breast pocket for which your liposuction harvested fat is then grafted into to create your breasts.It's not a tummy tuck, but a removal of an abdominal fat curtain to hold the liposuction fat for the breasts.

My surgeons are Dr Dung Nguyen (plastic, did my first surgery) and Dr. Monica Dua laparoscopic omentectomy. Both Stanford.

Has anyone taken this surgical approach? Do you have pros/cons/feedback on your experience?

Thank you,

SarahKatherine

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,811

Dear sarahkatherine - We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but really glad you found us, and hope you find the answers and support you're seeking. In the meantime, please let us know if we can be of any help. We're here fr you!

Sincerely,

The Mods

• wh10
    wh10 Member Posts: 1

hi Sarah, I am also interested in this reconstruction. Any insight to this procedure?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,811

@wh10, welcome to Breastcancer.org! After her post, @sarahkatherine doesn't seem to have returned to the forums. Hopefully, you'll get responses from other members, as now the discussion is back to active topics. If not, we would encourage you to start a new discussion on this topic and introduce yourself and your story to our members. If you need guidance on how to do so, just let us know. We're here for you!

Best wishes,

From the Mods