Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Help! Compression for armpit area?

Options
lenaaz
lenaaz Member Posts: 13
edited January 2023 in Lymphedema

Any advice on locating compression garments for "trunk" but especially armpit? I had a bilateral without reconstruction so bras with extra room for boobs don't compress on me. I am a small person, so men's compression sizes are too large. I don't even know where to look.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 855
    Options

Wear Ease has a garment called the Katy T which is a compression T-shirt without darts designed for flat chested women. This might work.

• lenaaz
    Options

Thank you!!!

I don't even know the brands or where to look ... had never heard of Wear Ease, and also didn't know they even made shirts for this.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    Options

You can also find compression shirts at UnderArmour, Dicks Sporting Goods, and Amazon for a great price. Make sure you purchase a small enough size to provide for a snug fit. Google "women's compression shirt" and you will get multiple links.

• lenaaz
    Options

Thank you ... I have looked at sporting goods stores, but have not found any compression shirts small enough in the chest area to create any compression. Men's small is too big, and even women's extra small has too much room meant for breasts I don't have. I've also looked at "shapewear" but the compression stuff seems to start at size medium, much too big. Currently managing by layering and stuffing in padding, but it is super uncomfortable without even giving me the compression anyway. Miserable, honestly, and extra ugly as a bonus, I am super frustrated with this and dreading the next step, which appears to be spending huge amounts of money on things I can't try on first. I am also wondering if people get things altered.

Thank you for all suggestions. Any specific brands that have more compression than ordinary workout wear?

• specialk
    Options

I have found that Under Armour is a heavier knit and snug with the shirts that are specifically labeled for compression, but if you are small enough what about trying a boys shirt? I normally wear a women's size 4 top but can wear a boys or youth size L or XL - and they would be more fitted across the chest. Here is a link to one you can order online, check the size chart to see if this might work.

https://www.hibbett.com/under-armour-boys-heatgear-long-sleeve-compression-shirt/1A750.html

• lenaaz
    Options

Oh, that is super promising! It never occurred to me to try the boys section. THANK YOU. Especially because this is so much cheaper ...

• specialk
    Options

Oh yay! I hope you can find something that works for you without too much trouble. A lot of this is hit and miss to find the right product, and can also be somewhat of a moving target as needs can also change over time. I often buy boys or youth sizes in things like t-shirts and/or sweatshirts, and yes, lower cost is a bonus!

• jennyjo20
    jennyjo20 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Marena is a good brand for compression garments. A little pricey but very high quality. Most of the tops have eye-hooks so you can adjust the tightness throughout the chest and abdomen. You can look around on the website but something like this might work:

https://marena.com/products/fv2m-compression-vest

• lenaaz
    Options

I super appreciate the links and suggestions. It all feels sort of unreal when I look at the pictures online. I trust this forum more than my more "official" sources. THANK YOU ALL.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    Options

You might also try supplementing with with Jovi pads. They come in many sizes and shapes. I place one in my bra when I feel swelling in my trunk.

• lenaaz
    Options

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the information and you all taking the time. All the best -