Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 4- Docetaxol (Taxotere) Treatment

Options

Comments

• mls1
    mls1 Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2023
    Options

dodgersgirl, what exciting news.

I get my 8th and final cycle next week and a scan 2 days after that. If scans are good I can expect at least a 2 month break and longer as long as the cancer stays relatively calm…………it would be wonderful if I could have spring/summer drug free

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited March 2023
    Options

mls1– is 8 treatments a limit? Or your oncologist’s preference?

Asking because during treatment 4 today, the infusion RN asked how many treatments I have left? I assumed as long as it was working and QOL was acceptable, Taxotere would continue. Made me wonder.

• mls1
    edited March 2023
    Options

when I started I thought I would be on it for as long as it worked but around the 2nd or 3rd cycle I was told after 8 cycles it would probably be too toxic and I would need a break.
    I assumed after the break I would go back on it but at the last doctor consult I was told I would be going on a different chemo unless a clinical trial came up

• dodgersgirl
    edited March 2023
    Options

mls1-thank you for that info. Since this treatment is first one that is shrinking tumors that news saddens me. Definitely will be asking my MO if that is their “plan”, too.

I know the SE are not pleasant but neither is dying from cancer if nothing else works. Sigh.

Again, thank you for sha

• mls1
    edited March 2023
    Options

dodgersgirl, at least knowing there is 1 chemo that works, one could always have it in the “bank” to go back to if need be.

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thought the treatment was getting more predictable and SE easier to accept and handle. But nope. The last 3 days have sucked (sorry). Not interested in food. Sleeping a lot. And biggest of all, lots of trips to the bathroom with the highest sense of urgency. Many anti-diarrhea pills later each day, get things to slow down only to start pattern again the next day. Sigh

• mls1
    edited April 2023
    Options

dodgersgirl, I don’t know what to say. I wanted to say hang in there but for some it’s just not worth it. When I was told I could have a break after the 8th cycle it became the only thing that kept me going. My prayers to you
    I had my last infusion last Wednesday and am so thankful to see the end of it, this is a tough chemo to tolerate.
    I had scans on Friday and will find out the results tomorrow. My fingers are crossed that the news is at least not bad and I can have some time to recover before the next onslaught.

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

Mls1– thanks for the kind words.

Please let me know how your scans went. Hoping for the best for you!!

• mls1
    edited April 2023
    Options

Woohoo, I have 3 months off.

When I was first diagnosed stage IV I had numerous lesions in the liver the largest being 7.5 cm by 7cm, the next biggest was over 3cm and a bunch of littles.
    Clinical trial for 4 months failed, xeloda for 2 yrs removed the 3cm one and all the littles and shrunk the big one down to 4cm. When xeloda failed a new tumour popped up 1cm and the big guy grew to 5.5cm.

Today the big guy is now down to 2cm by 1.5cm

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

mls1–. Congratulations on such good news!!!

3 months off… what a great “summer vacation”

May the liver Mets take a break and fully disol

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2023
    Options

Dodgersgirl- that sounds very tough- diarrhea causes such weakness also- I hope it settles down and at least the drug is working! do you feel better in any way?

MlS1- congratulations on a great response and gift of a drug holiday!

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

Nkb- diarrhea continues most days. Lomotil as PRN is becoming more frequent.

Definitely feel weakness. Could only climb up 2 stairs before thinking I was stuck. Couldn’t go “up” and couldn’t go down. Sucks.

I get blood tested this week. Will see how numbers are, looking for explanations regarding current side effects.

How are you doing

• nkb
    edited April 2023
    Options

Dodgersgirl- I hope that something shows up to explain your side effects- I was surprised at how debilitating the diarrhea was- not the tied to the toilet part- but, the depleted aspect- when it stopped I felt better within a few days-

I am stable- with enhertu it is a different set of side effects every cycle- none severe though and getting better- hair growing back, so far like a baby chicks though. hope it works long enough for something new to enter the drug choices- your experience sounds very difficult. I forget where you live and what else you have tried- there are a few new orals doing well in phase III trials as well. maybe a bone biopsy to show any mutations (or lack of them) that could guide you- or an FES PET to show if you are still estrogen sensitive - the new SERD Camizestrant is looking good. (not FDA approved yet)

Thinking of you

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

Nkb- sending you positive thoughts for continued good results on Enhertu. I can’t take that med due to pneumonitis from Afinitor that put me on supplemental oxygen.

Last biopsy I had showed low mutations to my tumor and nothing actionable.

AIs no longer work. Was on ibrance, verzinio, xeloda, IV Doxil, and now IV Taxotere

Will find out this week if MO will continue Taxotere or not. And see what’s next/left.

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

had 5th Taxotere last week. Wednesday thru today have been tough once again. Nausea and diarrhea regardless to meds taken. Just have to get through these “yucky” days.

MO said as long as I can tolerate the toxicity and scans show tumors shrinking, we will continue.

• mls1
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hang in there as long as you can dodgersgirl. I made it through 8 cycles but it’s been tough and I suspect if I wasn’t getting a break I would be in need of a blood transfusion, my hemoglobin was low and dipped below threshold last 2 cycles. Now I have time to build my strength back up to face the next trial and I am grateful

• dodgersgirl
    edited April 2023
    Options

mls1- Thanks

My hemoglobin number keeps dropping, too.

• mls1
    Options

I am now 4 1/2 weeks from my last infusion and I am retaining fluid. I had hoped side effects would be going away not getting new ones 😞

• dodgersgirl
    Options

cycle 6 was supposed to be last week. After falling and a trip to ER, I was admitted where doctors found a UTI

Chemo has been postponed until infection is gone

Hemoglobin dropped to 7.5

Hoping chemo can be next week because ALP is back in normal range and CT scans are not showing any progression.

Feeling miserable but chemo is working

-1sm

• dodgersgirl
    Options

I passed the blood work test. Hemoglobin back up to 9.1.

ALP continues to fall. Now in the 80s. In normal range.

Later this week will be Taxotere #6

Hope I can get all the cancer killing benefits I can get before it’s toxicity is to much for me. Fingers crossed.

• nkb
    Options

Yay Dodgersgirl! hemoglobin is so reactive- mine has done that over a day- after starting antibiotics for infection.

Kill kill kill fingers crossed

• dodgersgirl
    Options

Taxotere #7 is in the books.

Blood work this week says ALP dropping still— now 77. Hemoglobin dropped to 8.9.

Scans later this month. Hoping for stable but really hope they show tumors getting smaller.

• dodgersgirl
    Options

Taxotere #7 has been tough. Day 6 so nauseous. Having issues standing on my own (getting up from recliner without help). Worries me when I am home alone. Don’t want another fall. Butt is so sore from diarrhea. Looking forward to these sucky days passing. Won’t start feeling stronger for another week.

CT scan next week. Sure hope Taxotere is still killing tumors. Geesh, this is hard.

• nkb
    Options

Dodgersgirl- I am sorry to hear of your side effects- thinking of you

I did have a friend who found a recliner that half lifts you back out if that sounds like a solution. it is surprising what disabilities pop up with these various treatments - and then go away mysteriously also.

I hope that your CT is a lovely surprise

My DH tells me that the Dodgers are doing pretty well this year. DH loves the Giants, our local team the A's are doing quite abysmally I only watch basketball however.

• dodgersgirl
    Options

nkb- funny thing is I do have a power lift chair but my potty chair sits in front of it as that’s the only place I can have it (next to my regular Lazy Boy). May have to work on swapping out chair locations.

The positive side of having to retire early is being able to watch baseball. Thank goodness for MLB streaming games.

• dodgersgirl
    Options

Taxotere #7 Day 8. Was so sick last night. EIGHT BMs (diarrhea)

Hoping today goes better

• dodgersgirl
    Options

Taxotere #8 will be tomorrow (as long as blood work is ok)

Scans show Taxotere is working so as long as my body can handle the poison I will continue this treatment

• mls1
    Options

you’re a stronger person then me dodgersgirl, 8 cycles was enough for me. 3 months of no treatment and I am starting to feel normal again although I still have weak legs and have to be very careful about going downstairs. I have a scan booked for July 5th and will find out where I go next

• dodgersgirl
    Options

@mls1 here’s to hoping for great scans.
    I have weak legs from this treatment. I call them “chemo wobbly legs”. I worry about falling. Hope you see improvements from a break in treatment.

Did you have any fingernail issues while on Taxotere? My nails hurt and are funky looking just like they did when I was on Taxol 6 years ago. Hoping that will clear up after this treatment.

• mls1
    Options

all my nails have been affected. I’ve lost 3 toenails and I’m in the process of losing the nails on both big toes. Luckily I haven’t lost fingernails but they do look gnarly. I was even using ice on my hands and feet during treatment