Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mets during active treatment? Possible?

Options
breastcancerpartner
breastcancerpartner Member Posts: 26

My wife's currently undergoing treatment for stage IIIb TNBC. She had a 4cm mass that was misdiagnosed as a fibroadenoma and removed via lumpectomy.

Subsequent PET CT showed an enlarged axillary LN 3.6cm with no evidence of distant mets.

She's currently completed 4 AC and 8 cycles of weekly pacli and carbo (with Keytruda added to pacli carbo)

She's been experiencing constipation with the second combo, as well as abdominal bloating and hiccups. I've noticed some distension too. Over the past two weeks she's also been complaining of lower back pain on and off.

Is it possible that there might be mets? Our MO says it's unlikely at this stage of treatment, but we're going to get an abdominal usg and possibly a spine MRI to rule out. Really scared.

Any insights or similar experiences?

Comments

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    Options

I had an upset tummy during my weekly paclitaxel, about the same time, I think.

They gave me a week off to settle things down, then I completed the course. I was glad when it was done. I agree with your MO it's unlikely to be mets, but I do understand your fear. x

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Yes, mets are possible during active treatment, many times diagnosed as "denovo". Having the scans is the best way to know. Good luck and hopefully it's nothing.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Digestive problems are incredibly common with chemo, including all the things used to combat nausea. I had hiccups, too. It sounds like her MO is good about ordering appropriate tests for her concerns.

• breastcancerpartner
    Options

We'll be getting the scans done end of this week. I hope it's nothing. Terribly scared.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

"We'll be getting the scans done end of this week. I hope it's nothing. Terribly scared."

SHE'LL be getting the scans. Good luck to her, and she's lucky to have your support.

• breastcancerpartner
    Options

You're right alicebastable.

My wife will be getting the scans. All i can do is support and be there for her. And that's what I will do.