Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP and seroma

Options
kaynotrealname
kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
edited February 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

I had my DIEP four weeks ago and noticed last night when I pressed on the left side of my abdomen incision I got the rolling waves hallmark of a seroma. Contacted my BS today and they confirmed that's probably what it was and told me I could come to the office and attempt to drain it. I have my next appointment 02/28/23 and they said I could wait until then but in the meantime what can I do to try and resolve it on it's own? Wearing compression right now with a heating pad over it and will start doing gentle massage. Anything else to do? Luckily it's not even remotely painful or really even uncomfortable. Just noticeable and feels weird. I'd like to get rid of it naturally if possible though.

Comments

• virgo3
    virgo3 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 5
    Options

I just had umpectomy surgery January 18, 2024 and have a seroma. I came across this video and I'm going to add this to the 16 PT exercises I do twice a day. Along with heat in the morning and evening and using ice while I'm at work. I just bought 2 compression bands to use and it really helps keep my little ice pack in place..

Here is the link to the YouTube video to massage the seroma. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this with success!

https://youtu.be/Cjr5nweOBbc?si=M0ISo1sFi-KopCRc

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
    Options

It happened to me. I did a heating pad and compression as much as possible. If it's not painful my PS said it's best not to mess with it and have it try to resolve on it's own. I think it took about six weeks but it go away eventually.