Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet changes?

Options
lmdws
lmdws Member Posts: 13

has anyone had success with reducing their bone mets or remission by changing their diet? I don't do refined sugar but it diesntseem to be enough.

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

lmd, you will likely get different responses to your question. I made small adjustments. I did not make major changes, like become a vegan. I did stop drinking soda pop. I upped my daily water intake by using a 24 oz travel mug and fill it at least 3 times a day. I added more nuts and vegetables and fruits to my diet. Because high cholesterol and high blood pressure are hereditary in my family, I watch salt and dairy intake but I don't eliminate them altogether. I very rarely drink alcohol but will indulge in a margarita or glass of champagne from time to time. I eat junk food but do my best to make sure my body gets actual nutritional food. I cannot say I was mindful of that prior to mbc. All that said, there have been many accounts on this forum by people who “ate clean" and still ended up with bc/mbc. So on some level, it's a crap shoot. However, better nutrition is probably gonna make anyone feel better.

• lmdws
    lmdws Member Posts: 13
    Options

thank you

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    Options

I'm going to echo what divine said. I actually did go through a brief period of following a compulsively clean plant based diet. Lots of juicing, no sugar and… I was miserable. I have now spent over a decade with a single successfully radiated bone met while enjoying all things in moderation. I rarely eat red meat but I had a delicious cheeseburger the other night and each bite made me happy. Happy works for me. I should also say that my younger sister, who lived a “clean" lifestyle for most of her adult, died from a uterine sarcoma about six months after she was dx'ed. She was left stunned and bitter, so my view is heavily influenced by that experience. I also wouldn't attribute my lack of progression to my moderate diet views 🤷🏻.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Hey divine, I have a question - what do you do about vit D concerns and avoiding dairy? I find that dairy doesn't play well with Lynparza, but I worry about bone health. I never remember to take the little vit D pill either. I eat other sources of calcium and D but we all know dairy is the largest and best source. Actually it may be cow dairy that is the problem, goat or sheep cheese Ive found to usually be ok.

lmdws: I had chocolate cake with my coffee right now at 8 am. But Ill balance that out with probably homemade veg soup for lunch and then something from the freezer for dinner (buffalo turkey meatballs I think). A few times a year I may do the Whole 30 for a week to reset. I dont drink alcohol unless its a special occasion/party (champagne usually, or a gin and tonic). I like potato chips, but swapped soda for sparkling water years ago and that is only in the evenings, just plain water during the day. Key word is balance - find some good habits that work for you and keep them, but dont forget to treat yourself as well. This is hard enough without having to beat yourself up over food choices.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

sondra, I take a daily Vitamin D supplement. No problem remembering to take it as I add it in the pill organizer I use for my daily meds. My Vit D level was very low when I was dx, and I was givien a prescription to raise it and after that, an OTC supplement has kept it within normal range.

I agree with you about finding a balance of good nutrition and what works but not depriving oneself of treats. Food is one of life's simple pleasures. You don't have to eat at a five star restaurant or travel to an exotic, expensive location or wear fancy clothes to enjoy food that tastes good. I've learned to savor good meals, good food. One reason is because several times since being dx with mbc, I've been on treatments that altered my sense of taste which took away my simple enjoyment of food for months at a time. It made me very sad. I was fortunate to get my taste back and I do not take it for granted.