Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

joint pain from arimidex

I've been taking 1mg of arimidex for 12 weeks and the joint pain is VERY uncomfortable. Any suggestions/experiences for relief?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690

stacy, I'm sorry your MO is not listening to you or hearing you when you talk about your SEs. Sometimes, the nurses are better at listening or advising you. Are you able to switch MOs?

Carol

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Yes to that in spades, Ruth. The Nashville Senator was on news this morning saying how nothing could or would get done. What a disgrace -- to go on national t.v. and say to parents your kids are expendable because we can't do anything. As always, the first thing parents can do is fire this deplorable. There are a lot of people who can do something and people like that guy need to be gotten out their way.

• amyiv
    amyiv Member Posts: 3

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I, too, am recently retired and am not moving nearly as much as a did as a teacher aide for preschoolers. Walking is probably my best bet for now.

• exbrnxgrl

Exactly! I was an elementary school teacher. There’s no sitting down when teaching first grade

• the longer I’m on arimidex the less my joints hurt me though they still do. I was on tamoxifen first then switched to arimidex. Walking walking walking helps. Even just being active around the house. Cleaning and running errands. I feel best when I eat a balanced diet and drink lots of water and avoid alcohol and sweets.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,218

Re the teaching and exercise: I too used to work in public schools. Many years ago I did a lot of substitute teaching. I never have felt that good physically at any other time in my life. It was all from being with kids and walking around the classroom, up and down the halls, etc. every day. I loved that part of it.

• I’m a teacher too- a preschool teacher

• exbrnxgrl

Unfortunately, my symptoms on all of the AI’s have never improved over time, sigh… but given that I’m stage IV and these drugs have kept me progression free (at least that’s the assumptions) for over 11 years I will keep taking them and do my best to cope.

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 208

Have you tried taking Claritin to help with your joint pain? I pop a Claritin every morning and keeps me fairly pain free in my jonits. It's a histamine blocker and does help.

• exbrnxgrl

Try any and all suggestions as we all react differently. I have always had bad allergies and have taken either Claritin or Zyrtec for years and they seem to do nothing to lessen my AI pain.

• kotchaj

Oh exbrnxgrl,

Dang it, I was hoping it might help some. It's really helped with mine. I do notice that I am a bit stiff every morning when I get up, but I'm going to be 59 this May and that is probably part of it. I also know that walking makes a huge difference for me. I used to run. I couldn't do that now, nor do I really want to anymore, but walking does help with joint stiffness, too.

• dittie
    dittie Member Posts: 1

I am having the same side affect. It wasn’t bad for the first couple months but it seems to be getting worse

• risab
    risab Member Posts: 2

Claritin was working for me, but now I'm at the 2 year mark and the joint pain has gotten so much worse. I'm wondering about the amount I'm taking. What dosage are you taking?

• Dicon
    Dicon Member Posts: 32

i have osteoporosis and AIs are hard on bone density and after 11 months on arimidex, i could not tolerate the joint stiffness and hip weakness that was supposed to get better but it did not. I just switched to tomoxifen which i tolerated well before. The hip weakness made me afraid i might fall and fracture a hip. I have a rib fracture that finally healed after 3 years.

• sallyred
    sallyred Member Posts: 24

I think I heard that it’s Claritan, not Claritan D, that works. Is that right

• kotchaj

Sallyred,

Yes, not the D one. Just plain ole Claritin.