Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A Sweet and Precious Time

Options
bestbird
bestbird Member Posts: 232

I just wanted you to know that your tender messages have lifted my heart! I never anticipated such an outpouring of love from people across the world. To realize that numerous lives have been touched by my work brings me inexpressible joy. Thank you so very much for taking the time to reach out, as each and every note is dearly treasured!

My days, which are thankfully pain-free, are spent with my husband Steve and garrulous parrot Pumpkin. Just a year ago, I was a full-time caretaker for Steve when his condition deteriorated from a neurodegenerative disease. As the result of research and finding a neurosurgeon willing to go above and beyond, Steve's situation has improved to the point where he is now helping to take care of me. Steve, Pumpkin and I spend our days watching comedies, cuddling and chatting (Pumpkin has asked me to marry him but I've responded that he wouldn't want to become a widower!)

This sweet and precious time with my small family is incomparable.

Hospice has been wonderful, and their compassionate attention reassures me that Steve's and my needs will continue to be expertly and caringly accommodated.

Your beautiful notes are re-read daily, and every word is cherished!

With love and appreciation,

Anne

Comments

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2023
    Options

Bestbird, this makes me so very happy for you. Pumpkin must be the bestbird! I remember your husband had a health issue too and I am confident your amazing research skills and determination found the neurosurgeon who went above and beyond for Steve and you.

You are loved, you have helped thousands or more with your love, determination and research and we will always remember your grace.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    edited April 2023
    Options

Anne,

Thank you so much for this update. I'm to know you are enjoying a sweet and precious time and that the hospice is attentive. Keeping you and your family in prayer. How precious Pumpkin must be.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited April 2023
    Options

Precious! Thank you Bestbird (and Pumpkin) for sharing with us how you are doing. Your guide and your guidance will never be forgotten. You've been so generous with your time and compassion for so many, and for so long. We'll be forever grateful. Gentle hugs to you, Steve and Pumpkin. Medicating

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,773
    edited April 2023
    Options

Anne,

I’m so happy to hear that this is a peaceful time for you. Pumpkin sounds like a great companion! I told my little chihuahua that there is a parrot called Pumpkin and she was surprised as her name is Pumpkin too. Yes, I am a bit over the top as a pet owner but I know how they become family and are positive forces in our lives. Take care

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2023
    Options

Anne,

I don't go on BCO that often, actually trying to limit my time on the "virtual world". I was spending way too much time and missing out on real life experiences. I had to go back and read your previous message.

When I first was diagnosed you were that "person", meaning the one that I trusted in the MBC world. Your message/research will continue to inspire us now and always. It's comforting knowing you are loved and being cared for, something we all desire. Thank you for your update and letting us be part of your journey.

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited April 2023
    Options

Dear BestBird (precious Pumpkin) & family,

My advance apologies for crashing your courageous IV space, which is destined to leave long-standing powerful impressions.

In Native American tradition the feather is a powerful symbol which signifies honor with a connection between bird parents, our Creator and the bird from which the feather came. The feather symbolizes trust, power, wisdom, honor, strength and freedom... all of which you have portrayed in your gifts to BC.

https://blog.nativehope.org/the-feather-symbol-of-...

May our Creator forever cherish and bless you and your family. Just as many of us have cherished your many contributions to BC, you will forever be treasured also for your grace and dignity.

It is said "The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" -- Montgomery Clift

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away." --Maya Angelou

Rest well in feathers,

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited April 2023
    Options

obsolete - thank you for sharing that! I love feathers!! Now I know why.

Bestbird, I am happy you are spending your time with your husband an Pumpkin. How sweet of him to ask you to marry him. That's true love!

As obsolete says above - "Rest well in feathers"

May you continue to be comfortable and full of peace! <3

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    edited April 2023
    Options

I love this thread! I have a blog and I ended my last post with something along those lines:

"I need to stop waiting for a "better" time to see that friend or make that call. There may never be a better time. Today is here. Use it, revel in it, make those memories.

Carpe diem. Today, not tomorrow.

Carol"

Anne, thank you for sharing your story. I wish you many days of pain free time with those you love. To the rest of you, I feel your sweet spirits and thank you for your words of encouragement.

• bestbird
    edited April 2023
    Options

exbrnxgrl, your Pumpkin is absolutely precious! Please accept a warm hello from one Pumpkin to another!

• bestbird
    edited April 2023
    Options

obsolete, Your message about the significance of feathers resonated very deeply. I have always been drawn to birds, and Pumpkin has been by my side (and on my shoulder!) for nearly three decades. I am grateful for every moment with him and believe there is something extraordinarily special about feathers and the birds who produce such things of beauty. And there is the magic of their flight...

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,582
    edited April 2023
    Options

Anne, just wanted to chime in that I am glad to see you are comfortable and enjoying wonderful time with your family. Your work on MBC to date has been so helpful not just for me, but for all the others I have pointed that direction when their own terrible news came. You are an inspiration for how to turn an awful situation into a productive one, and I won't ever forget that lesson.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,018
    edited April 2023
    Options

Anne, you've always had the sweetest, kindest, gentlest soul. I've always been comforted by your presence on these boards, from the unwavering grace you've displayed while living with metastatic breast cancer, to the informative intelligence you brought to our community. You've been a source of strength and knowledge and hold a very special place in my heart! Thank you for letting us know that your days are pain free, and giving us that visual of you, Steve and Pumpkin cuddling and having some good laughs watching comedies. My heart is giving you the biggest hug ever for all you've meant to me! Sending you lots of love!

Camille

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Anne, we haven't heard from you in awhile, but know that you are in our thoughts. Sending our love!