Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

To have reconstruction or not to have

Options
brandname245
brandname245 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

I'm torn. I'm a uniboob at the moment. Reconstruction is scheduled. The problem that I'm having is that I really don't want another surgery but I don't want people to set and wonder why I look so weird. So I guess I'm looking for the pro and cons of having two breast or having just one. I can live with just one that's not a problem just want to be normal ish as possible. And also is prosthetic really worth it

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited April 2023
    Options

I couldn't be happier with my DIEP results.

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    edited April 2023
    Options

Totally personal decision. Up to you. Trust your own feelings.

I felt that I wouldn't reconstruct, to avoid an extra surgery. But I also wanted to look more or less normal, and specially not draw any unwanted attention to my breasts when dressed, included when on a swimsuit (I am a swimmer and I am on swimsuits a lot, summer and winter); I still work, and I travel and I meet people, and I also have a very active life, and I knew I personally wouldn't be capable of dealing with prosthetics, the type that you put on, and take off of, some special bra. I didn't wear a wig when I lost my hair, for the same reason -not worth the hassle for me. So I knew the take-on take-off prostheses would be a PITA for me, and I would prefer something permanent. So I got these gummy implants and couldn't be happier. I look normal when dressed, including at the pool; on closer look, my boobs are obvius fakes, and on even closer look (locker room, showers), it is also obvious I got my breasts removed, which is kind of cool in a certain way -the look of my boobs tell my story.

Whatever you decide will be a good decision. And if it isn't, you can reconsider. Good luck with your decision,

LaughingGull

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited April 2023
    Options

It truly is a personal decision. Many of us can give you pros/cons, but they would be based on our experiences, and as you very well know, everyone's experience is different.

You mention that you are fine with having the one breast. That is the important thing; who cares what others think! I've know many women who are happy with having to wear a prosthetic(s), others who are ok being flat on the one side. You do what's right for you as you are the one who has to live with it. The good thing is that if you decide not to do the reconstruction now, you can always change your mind and do it later.

I hope you find peace in whatever you decide!

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2023
    Options

I also have one breast and for the most part I'm OK with it. Honestly, I'd prefer to have the uniboob removed (D cup) and go flat but since I got lymphedema in my surgical side arm I'm terrified of having it on both sides. That, plus the fact that I have never really felt "normal" since my mastectomy in 2021. I have tightness, occasional nerve pain, etc., which is probably due to radiation but I'm scared to have the prophylactic mastectomy because I don't think I can handle any more discomfort.

I have never considered reconstruction though if I were a young woman I might feel differently. It sounds appealing to me to not have annual mammograms on the remaining breast, and to never have to wear a bra again. Good luck with your decision... it truly is an individual choice.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited April 2023
    Options

I had BMX and asked for reconstruction for a few reasons, first, I was relatively young with young daughters (11 and 15 at that time), I am a private person that doesn't like to share my diagnosis with others, I didn't want that look from coworkers, friends and family. I wanted to look as normal as possible. On the other hand, it was the most difficult surgery I had. In the end, it is your choice.

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    edited April 2023
    Options

I had a single mastectomy five years ago, and got very used to having a good prosthetic. I love the new .amoena adaptair. As a size D I had to wear one. But somehow I knew one day I would have the other one removed. I have just had it confirmed that I have cancer again on this side so I will be doing a second mastectomy this week. Very unsure of reconstructive surgery as I am very tired of surgery and I am getting older. You can always take it decision by decision. And if you choose no surgery now, you can change your mind later

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,053
    Options

I am openly uniboob. Honestly, most people don't even notice. My surgeon was very supportive of me going with an AFC instead of reconstructing. She said one thing to keep in mind was that sometimes larger-breasted women develop back soreness because of the uneven weight on their chest. Since I was on the border between a B and C cup, it hasn't been an issue for me. Also, literally two weeks before my surgery was when they had the huge recall on textured implants and expanders. Needless to say, I felt very validated about my decision.

Absolutely, your journey could be different. But if you decide that you really don't want to deal with going under yet again, being a uniboob is not that big a deal.