Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Who has finished HT and do side effects go away?

I am new to this group. I had Stage II breast cancer in 2019. No chemo, just started out on Anastrozole but had terrible insomnia, joint pain and arthritis so I went on Letrozole after 2 years. I was walking 6-9 miles a day for a month just as I started Letrozole, my weight went up and my cholesterol went sky high. Grrrrrr….. I am not overweight by much so this was crazy!! I went back on Anastrozole. I didn't want to take any chance of having a stroke on Tamoxifen. I know it is a very low chance, but as I am the ONLY one in my family to ever have any type of cancer, I figure I'd be the one having a stroke. So I am back to suffering with hair loss, arthritis, insomnia, and fatigue and also mild headaches that last for days. I have one year to go before I reach the 5 yr milestone. Has anyone out there come to the end of their HT and find that you still have the side effects? Will my hair get back to normal after I stop? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for responding if you have a moment.

Comments

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72

I have been off HT for 4 years and can honestly say it took a while but I am my old self! I was on tamoxifen for 3 years and letrozole for 4 years. It has taken a few years for my cholesterol to get back to normal but the hair loss and stiffness do not plague me and really haven't after about 6 months of being off HT. So, I feel like there is a light at the end of your tunnel. Just one more year!