Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Timeline

Options
keaton56
keaton56 Member Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm new, I was just wondering what was the timeline from you from when you were diagnosed to when you had surgery?

I had a biopsy on the 18th and it came back May 1st positive for IDC. I now have an appointment I think with the general surgeon on Tuesday May 9th. I'm sure she's going to schedule me for an mri, but how soon after do they schedule surgery?

I know this is ridiculous and should be the last concern but I'm supposed to be going on a family vacation with my kids and my husband on May 11th! And I'm not sure whether I should be canceling or not

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 868
    Options

keaton56, This is not a ridiculous question. I had surgery 7 weeks after being diagnosed. Surgeons in my location generally schedule 4 to 8 weeks out. If you know you will need an mri you could call the doctor's office before your appointment to ask if it could be scheduled on the 9th/10th or as soon as you get back (get your request in as soon as possible.) Wait times for mri's vary by location but where I live they are currently 2 to 4 weeks.

My breast surgeon delayed my surgery for a week so that I could get my second covid shot and be fully vaccinated prior to the operation. A family vacation is much more fun and will be a welcome distraction as well as something to remember as you undergo treatment.

• keaton56
    keaton56 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you so much. It's amazing how I can fixate on something like this. O'Hare not know what's happening inside of me and what the heck they are going to do to me!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,596
    Options

Hi keaton56. I'm sorry about your diagnosis. My first diagnosis was in early November and I waited until the 2nd Monday in December to have my surgery. We were hosting a big holiday party and I wanted to do that, partly for the distraction. Go and try to enjoy your trip with your family. Talk about it or don't talk about it. Whatever you are comfortable with.

I wish you the very best.

Carol

• momgoose
    momgoose Member Posts: 71
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I was convinced when I got my diagnosis in mid-October of 2022 that I would be having surgery within the month…November at the latest. As it turned out, my double mastectomy was nearly 3 months after the diagnosis, on January 4, 2023. I was very concerned about waiting that long, but at the end of the day, it all worked out ok.

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

I saw the surgeon in July 21st, and in my case started chemo in August 7th. I think a lot of it would depend on how long your vacation is and how many other appointments you need to schedule — but in general I think the aim is to get treatment started (either surgery or chemo) within 6 weeks of diagnosis — so you probably have time.

• dsc
    dsc Member Posts: 50
    Options

Not a ridiculous question at all, good for you for thinking about family time and vacation, which is so important mentally and physically!

I’m in Toronto, so a big city. Not sure if that makes it better or worse for timing.

I was diagnosed April 21st (both IDC and DCIS in right breast) after routine annual mammogram. I met with the surgeon April 26th, he ordered an MRI which was done May 2nd, and I have my follow up with the surgeon on May 8th when I’m guessing the treatment plan will be put in place. I’m hoping and praying surgery is very soon after, but don’t know yet. So anxious!

Thinking of you and sending healing love.

Dee