Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Worried and stressed-lump on collarbone and armpit

Options

hello,

I am 28 years old. I have family history of breast cancer. Am diabetic and have had 2 beautiful children. About 10 days ago I noticed a lump sitting on/above the left collarbone area. I made an appointment with my doctor and she felt around and said there is also a lump in my left arm pit. I did mention that I had some pulling/soreness in the area. She sent me for a cat scan but everything looked normal. No swollen lymph nodes, no sign of the lumps we are feeling. So she scheduled me for an ultrasound on Monday. I am overweight so I wonder if that affected the cat scan? I don’t know. I am worried about the outcome of this and confused on why nothing would show up when there is clearly two lumps about 4cms wide. I also think I found another one around my right collarbone today.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,946
    Options

Hi lshaner95, We're sorry for what you are going through.
    What did your doctor say regarding the CT not seeing any of the lumps? We certainly hope that the ultrasound will yield more information for you. You may also want to discuss a biopsy, moving forward. And we are really routing for everything to be benign. There are many benign breast conditions, so try, as best as possible, not to get too worried until you have more information. We are all here for you!

• lshaner95
    lshaner95 Member Posts: 7
    Options

She just said that since we can clearly feel them an ultrasound would be the best way to proceed. She hasn’t been very forthcoming with what she is thinking as far a possible causes. She did order bloods and the only thing that came back abnormal was that I have iron deficiency anemia.

• moderators
    edited May 2023
    Options

It's really difficult without additional tests, and likely eventually a biopsy to say what it could be, so it may really be that she has no true opinions yet. We are rooting for benign!! 🤗 And here for you!!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 671
    Options

Hi, Sorry you are feeling stressed we totally understand and hope you get answers quickly. A couple questions did you have IV contrast with the CT, did the tech ask where the lumps where and mark with a "BB"? What area was scanned, soft tissue neck and chest? I am a CT tech and the equipment today is amazing so even people that are overweight shouldn't be a problem.

The Ultrasound tech will scan each lump ,measure it and note whether it's cystic, solid etc. If there is still uncertainty after that you can also get an MRI. Hopefully the Ultrasound will get all the information they need. Remember not all swellings are cancerous and we all hope this is benign. Sending hugs and positive vibes your way

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    Options

I know this is stressful and worrisome. It’s not that your doctor hasn’t been forthcoming it’s just that there isn’t enough known at this time to even speculate. It doesn’t make sense to guess, and get you all worked up, when not enough information is available. Take care

• lshaner95
    Options

@cookie54 yes they did iv contrast. He did mark it with a bb but in the report they said that it must have moved when I put my arms up. They scanned my chest. But she said that the cat scan didn’t pick up any of the lumps she found and that my lymph nodes were normal. But she was almost certain they are lymph nodes because of their placements and feel.

• cookie54
    Options

OK well sounds like you had a good study, fingers crossed for negative Ultrasound. Keep us posted.

• lshaner95
    Options

Thank you so much to everyone who commented. My ultrasound is tomorrow at 3pm. I will update as soon as I can tomorrow. I’m still feeling anxious and have been having trouble sleeping but am trying my best to keep my head out of the worst and focus on the statistics. I am too young, most lumps felt are benign, because I have underlying health conditions this could be related to any of them. Though that is the case, it doesn’t make it any less scary I know. Again thank you all for commenting. I feel better just knowing there is a place to come to express fears and get helpful, loving and non judgmental feed back.

• lshaner95
    Options

@cookie54 i had my ultrasound done. The radiologist wasn’t in so they were just able to do the clavicle lymph node. I was wondering if you could help me with what it reads on my chart?

• cookie54
    Options

Hmmm Is the facility a small office or perhaps it was in the evening and no radiologist there? Was the tech unable to palpate the others so wanted the doc to come in with her? Will you be returning to have the other swellings scanned?

Sure I will take a look….

• lshaner95
    Options

@cookie54 thank you! It is a small town facility. So the radiologist is over an hour away. I would need to be referred to the bigger facility for them to do the ultrasound of the armpit and breast. I haven’t heard anything from my healthcare providers yet.

• cookie54
    Options

Hey I just private messaged you….

• moderators
    Options

@lshaner95 We are thinking of you! Do you have any updates?

—The Mods