Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scared - Asymmetry seen in posterior on mammogram

Options
mickey26
mickey26 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I’m freaking out a bit.  I had my annual mammogram on Monday and on Friday got the report.  The radiologist is recommending additional imaging. 

The report says:
PRIOR STUDY COMPARISON:3/28/2022 Bilateral MAMMOGRAPHY, SCREENING WITH 3D, CP.

TISSUE DENSITY:There are scattered areas of fibroglandular density.

FINDINGS:DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY:Asymmetry central/retroareolar left breast only seen on MLO view far posterior depth measuring 15 mm.
No significant abnormality on the right side.This patient's mammogram was interpreted with the assistance of computer-aided detection (CAD). Digital breast tomosynthesis (3D) imaging was performed.

BI-RADS Category 0 - Incomplete: Need additional imaging evaluation

RECOMMENDATION:Additional Imaging of the Left breast.Recommend left spot MLO, and open straight lateral views, preferably in 3-D, with ultrasound as appropriate. 

I am 51 and had a mammogram every year since I was 40.  They have always come back normal, and I have never had a call back.

This year it notes Asymmetry and I’m freaking out that I have cancer. 

The one thing I noticed is that in all the past years, when I get my mammogram they normally compress my breast tightly under the box, enough that it’s uncomfortable.  This year the girl that did it barely squeezed at all. I remember thinking what a light touch she had.  Any chance that could be the cause for the Asymmetry seen in only one view??? I also had a breast reduction 20-25 years ago and I know there’s some scar tissue in there, but it’s never been an issue on past mammograms. I’m trying to hang onto any hope at all that it’s normal.
I have my additional imaging scheduled for next week.  

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

An asymmetry means that your left side and right side don't appear the same — they are asymmetrical. There can be many reasons for that, including technique of imaging, some point of inflammation because (who knows, our bodies do weird things), a cyst, or abnormal cells. Scar tissue! Yes, that's a prime source of something not appearing the same. Your birads-0 code means exactly what it says: we don't have enough information, so we're going to look again, specifically at the spot in question.

No need to freak out at this point. Get the follow-up done; find things to do to keep you busy in the meantime; and remember that the vast majority of follow-up scans show nothing of concern. Let us know what you find out.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Hi there, mickey26! We're so sorry you find yourself here with this worry, we know how scary it can be. As mountainmia said, no reason to freak out at this point! We know anything other than a normal result on a mammogram can be very concerning, but there are several other things that may be going on that can explain the asymmetry. We're glad you have a follow up scheduled, please do keep us posted.

The Mods