Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BRCA2 mutation, IDC and lumpectomy and sentinel node

I found out that I had IDC and then through genetic testing, found out I have the BRCA2 mutation. After research and multiple discussions with surgeon and oncologist, I have decided to have lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy at this time. Now waiting for pathology report and will do every 6 month surveillance.
Have others here with BRCA2 mutation decided on lumpectomy vs mastectomy?

Comments

  • ladyanglesey
    ladyanglesey Member Posts: 1

    Well done, tinacap77. My genetic testing hasn't come back yet. (The lab is backed up, so they told me it might take 4 weeks or just before my surgery. I'm Stage 1A, Grade 1, but I worry if my lymph nodes will be clear. That's really the main hold-up on whether I can have the short 5-day radiation.

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,888

    Welcome, @ladyanglesey! We're sorry you find yourself here, but we're so glad you've joined out community and hope this place can be a source of support for you. Waiting for results can be so frustrating, especially when your treatment plans hinge on them! We hope the 4 weeks turns out to be much shorter, please keep us posted.

    The Mods

  • cindylou416
    cindylou416 Member Posts: 33

    sounds exactly like my situation

    Just diagnosed last week, surgery next week w sentinal node biopsy

    They have tested me for brca results should be in next week

    My u/s biopsy showed 1cm

    Going to Boston for trestment

    Cindy

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,888

    @cindylou416 - Sorry for what brought you here, but glad you found us, welcome!

    It can be hard at first, but remember that knowledge is power, and learning about your diagnosis and planning your treatment will help you feel better. We would suggest you take a look at the following section, designed for those newly diagnosed: Just Diagnosed? Start Here

    Hope this helps! Let us know how things are going, we're thinking of you!

    The Mods

  • optin7
    optin7 Member Posts: 1

    Hi diagnosed few weeks ago..invasive ductal stage 1/2 this was with a question mark and waiting on MRI on early cancer diagnosis. Between the decision on lumpectomy with take test up to three , sentinel nodes expected followed by radiation now swinging towards mastectomy or double mastectomy with reconstruction..learning about options and feel pressure to make decision definitely if change mind in one days time..feel like I wasn't advised of everything on last appt and now catching up on what can find.


    Thanks for everyone sharing

  • salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736

    Hey optin7 and Tinacap77,

    I think I will be facing a similar decision very soon. I don't have the BRCA mutation but I have a lot of breast cancer history in my family and now have my second new diagnosis five years after my first (contralateral breast, parallel pathology) - so I strongly suspect here is some genetic predisposition going on even if it is not yet specified and testable.

    If I need to make a decision in a hurry, which maybe I will because I want this new lump out of my body ASAP, I am leaning towards an immediate lumpectomy and radiation and reserving the option of a mastectomy for the future. I already have one irradiated breast, so reconstruction will be impacted and radiating the second breast shouldn't radically change things, I expect.

    But I am still waiting for my initial appointment with my surgical oncologist (the same one I used and loved the first time), so this is all me spinning around in my head without really knowing stuff…

    Good luck!

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,888

    Welcome, @optin7. We're so sorry you find yourself here, we know how overwhelming this can all be, especially in the early days and weeks following a diagnosis. There's so much information to process and it can be even more frustrating when you feel as though you don't have all the information you need to make an informed decision. We hope you get some additional clarity in the coming days that helps you make a decision that you are comfortable with - in the meantime, we're all here for you!

    The Mods