Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Concerned about conflicting advice -

Options

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I was really happy to receive a BIRADS 2 diagnosis for microcalcifications that my doctor was keeping an eye on. My radiologist told me I was all set and to come back when I’m 40 (I was 36). I’m now 37 and pregnant with my first. Going over my records, I see dr recommended I follow up after a year just because I was under 40.

I’m feeling very anxious and vulnerable now. Is it really necessary for me to have a mammo again before 40? I’m confused about the conflicting advice. I have had clinical breast exams since with no findings.

Thank you again for reading.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 867
    Options

@jcb2226 , It would probably be best to contact the doctor who recommended the follow up. Mammograms are pretty safe if you are pregnant but are not recommended just for screening because of the small amount of radiation exposure. That doctor will be able to offer guidance as to when you should have your next mammogram given that you are now pregnant. If you don't ask you will probably continue to worry about whose advice to follow.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope everything works out well for you.

• jcb2226
    jcb2226 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. 🙏