Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Immunotherapy for hormone positive, HER2- breast cancer

Options

I like to keep up with medical trials and research for breast cancer and was wondering if anyone knew anything about using keytruda for hormone positive, HER2- tumors. It seems there are some trials going on right now with it but I can't get an inkling on how it's going. Any news that anyone knows about? Just wondering if we are close to getting an immunotherapy treatment for ER/PR positive breast cancer patients.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 871
    Options

There is a current clinical trial using Keytruda for early stage ER+/HER2- bc with neoadjuvant chemo and adjuvant HT.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03725059

There is also an ongoing clinical trial using Kisqali with adjuvant HT for early stage ER+/HER- bc.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03701334

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 381
    Options

Ribociclib doesn't appear to be an immunotherapy but it's good to know there's a study on it for early breast cancer patients. I'll be curious to see if the Keytruda study brings any results. I had found that one on-line but was wondering if there were others.

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    Options

I started screening tests this week at the University of Wisconsin in Madison for NCT03393845, Keytruda & fulvestrant. It’s a phase II study enrolling for over 5 years seeking just 47 patients. I’m told the last spot is being held for me. It will be my 3rd line in the metastatic setting. In December 2022, FoundationOne analysis of my liver biopsy showed PD-L1 expression.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 381
    Options

Oh good luck!! I'm excited about keytruda and hope it will prove quite useful for hormone positive HER2- cancers also. I assume the PD-L1 expression is important for keytruda's response.

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    Options

Yes, pembrolizumab is already indicated in combination with chemotherapy for metastatic triple-negative breast cancer tumors expressing programmed death ligand 1 (PD⁠-⁠L1). So, that’s a essentially a biomarker required to be present in order for the treatment to work.

From the Merck website, KEYTRUDA is a monoclonal antibody that binds to “either the programmed death receptor-1 (PD⁠-⁠1) or the programmed death ligand 1 (PD⁠-⁠L1), blocking the PD⁠-⁠1/PD⁠-⁠L1 pathway, thereby removing inhibition of the immune response”. That allows your own T cells to be free to attack the nasties.

Unfortunately, the list of potential side effects is daunting which, along with the pandemic, may have delayed trial enrollment. Initially only 3 centers were offering the study with 2 more added in 2021. Just 2 prior lines are allowed which also might eliminate interested candidates. Don’t wait too long in considering studies!

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    Options

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04448886

I’m Er+HER2- (PLD1/PDL negative) I’ve had two Trodelvy treatments and one Keytruda so far.

I know they are trialing Enhurtu/Keytruda and Piqray/Keytruda for hormone positive MBC.