Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

DCIS & pregnancy?


Hi. New here and just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with DCIS in left breast, 5cm, stage 2 with comedonecrosis. I have been trying to have a baby for over 3 years (just turned 40 this year) and was pursuing IVF before my diagnosis. It appears that my IVF treatments have been fueling the DCIS (estrogen positive at 81%, progesterone 5%). I have one healthy embryo from the IVF treatment. I am currently working on a plan with my surgeon and trying to determine how to best treat the DCIS and then determine if I can pursue a frozen embryo transfer for my one embryo. I am having difficulty finding information and how others may have approached this dilemma. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. I am currently planning to treat the DCIS surgically because of risk factors (mom had ovarian cancer, paternal grandmother and aunt both had breast cancer, paternal uncle has prostate cancer). Waiting on genetic testing results. Thank you for any information.


  • quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165

    so here are some quick thoughts having prepared for a frozen transfer years ago (although the outcome was not as hoped but that’s not really relevant at this moment) and having dealt with DCIS last year

    The common plan for DCIS would be surgery radiation and in your case probably medication for the next 5 years. I think the only part which would be counterproductive to the frozen embryo transfer after the fact would be the medication because obviously you are not going to take something that rids your body of estrogen during pregnancy. That does not mean that putting off medication until after the fact would guarantee cancer would return anymore than taking it would guarantee that it won’t It still however is a conversation that needs to involve both your fertility doctor and your medical oncologist (not saying your breast surgeon can’t be involved but when it comes down to it the two people who are dealing with the medication side of things most certainly are the ones who should have the best information so you can make informed decisions). For example discussing the timing of things. If you are doing radiation how long do you need to wait before you can start the process for the IVF I’m not suggesting you would want to start taking meds to begin that process before radiation ends but who knows. Removing the whole breast compared to a lumpectomy might be another choice if it eliminates the need for radiation so another thing that could factor in in terms of timing. Like I said not a whole lot of help maybe not any help at all. But the real point is people try to get pregnant after treatment for cancer whether it’s medical assisted or not it still happens so it becomes about making your best informed choices.

    Wishing you success as your navigate this path. And please whatever services or support is offered to you take it. nurse navigator, nutritionist, therapist whatever if they offer it take it or at least take down the info because you never know what might help when you are in the middle of treatment

  • dogmomof2
    dogmomof2 Member Posts: 7

    Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I'm sorry to hear that your FET was not successful. IVF is not for the faint of heart and then to add a diagnosis like this into the mix makes it all the more difficult. I appreciate you highlighting having all the players at the table to discuss this. In my current treatment model, I start with the surgeon and then meet people as I progress in treatment. I will reach out to the oncology nurse to see if I can start these conversations with the other providers sooner so I can start weighing risks and benefits.