Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

recurrences

Options

Has anybody with 1 positive lymph node for micrometatasis had a recurrence? With or without chemo? I am trying to decide whether chemo is worth it for me. My oncotype is 26

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

Yes. There have been people at every stage of breast cancer with every documented spread and grade that have had recurrences. No one is safe unfortunately which is why following the recommended protocol for treatment is important. With an oncotype of 26, chemo will always be recommended. It's up to you whether you want to do it or not but studies are conclusive that it is beneficial in lowering your risk of recurrence.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 683
    Options

thec Your life is worth it! If it is recommended I would hit it hard up front never to have it return again. You never want to look back and say I should have…. Best Wishes on your decision

• thec
    thec Member Posts: 12
    Options

I am told I am in the gray area where 26 to 30. Under 25, no chemo, 31 and over chemo. I am confused. Right now I have a 1 out of 5 chance of it recurring without chemo and a 1 out of 7 with chemo. If I do chemo, it would be TC. there is only a 5 percent benefit of chemo. Not sure if it is worth it. Doc said cancer can come back with or without chemo..

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    edited June 2023
    Options

thec,

Although your doctors statement is correct, chemo is still giving you the edge. Perhaps the bigger thing to consider is how you would feel in either scenario. I should add that my point of reference is to a metastatic recurrence not a local one. If you did chemo and recurred, would you feel resentful? If you didn’t do chemo and recurred, you’d be stage IV, would you be kicking yourself in the behind? Stage IV is incurable so that’s something to consider. Stats can guide you but can’t predict how an individual will.

It really is a tricky decision and despite what any of us might do, ultimately you are the decision maker.

• yippeekiyaymf
    yippeekiyaymf Member Posts: 25
    Options

Hey there- I had to make the same decision and it was heart wrenching to make. My oncologist recommended no chemo and that it was more cutting edge and that her colleague with equal experience would absolutely recommend chemo—— I just wanted to tell you you are not alone and I never imagined I'd be making such a tough decision. I broke it all down every which way and asking a zillion questions. I will say this as my counsellor said once you decide just be all in and don't look back! Know it is the best decision for you and take your next step. Hugs to you-

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

From what I understand, the Tailor X study eliminated confusion for most people - https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/tailorx-breast-cancer-chemotherapy . For any person with a score of 26 or over chemo is normally recommended. Some caveats may be if you have a grade 1 tumor or lobular, but the standard IDC grade 2 or higher is what most people have and chemo tends to work well on those. I was under 50, had a score of 23 and TC chemo was recommended for me. I had a 6.5% decrease in my recurrence score so it was well worth it to me. It would have been well worth it to me for even a 2% decrease to be honest. I was confident in my ability to handle chemo and wanted to throw everything I could at it so I would have no regrets. Anyway, chemo wasn't fun and I wouldn't want a repeat but it was doable and I have had a complete recovery. Good luck in making your decision.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 429
    Options

Thec, I imagine by now you've made your decision. It is a difficult decision to make. My score was around 12 or 15. This was 2008. We figured there was still a chance it could come back. It was figured there wasn't much benefit to me Grade1, with 2 micromets. I skipped chemo. MO said I was very wise. Fast forward to 2017 and bone mets were found. Being grade 1 I am doing well. I am not sorry I skipped chemo.

3 yrs ago I lost a good friend that was heavily treated before it returned 17 yrs later. I was warned never to take a break from chemo. If it cones back it is with a vengence.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,612
    Options

As part of the TayloRx I was randomized to get chemo. I was actually glad because I wanted to throw everything possible at the disease. Even though the study now shows little benefit to women with my score, I'm still glad I did it.

I did progress to Stage IV, and I think I would have felt some guilt or responsibility for my recurrence.

I don't remember my score, but it was somewhere in the low/mid range.

Wishing you the best with whichever path you choose.

Carol

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I dodged chemo because I had an oncotyoe score of 11. I did however, have 33 radiation treatments. I also had a micromet in the SN. I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. I recently had my yearly mammogram which was fine. I am 11 years out and while I feel more optimistic about no recurrence you never know with women having it come back after 15-20 years. I too was a Stage 1b, Grade 1 with an 8% chance of a recurrence.