Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lumps of the mastectomy scar

Hi!
I had a lumpectomy, at the age of 40, for Lcis in the right breast in 2017. In the same year, I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction because I could not control my anxiety. In 2019, I did lipofilling, after which oily cysts formed in both breasts.
2 days ago I had an ultrasound scan because a lump appeared on the scar tissue of the left breast (the breast removed prophylactically) which seemed more strange to me.
Unfortunately, the radiologist could not see it on the screen and as a result, he proposes a surgery.
on Tuesday I will goes for a second opinion.
what do you think it could be?

thank you!

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438

It could easily be fat necrosis especially since you have already shown a predilection for developing oily cysts. I assume you have done an ultrasound and that's the screen it couldn't be seen on? If so, I would think a biopsy is sufficient for diagnosis. Not sure why you would have to have a surgery yet.

• lumpybobcat
    lumpybobcat Member Posts: 23

I agree with kaynotrealname. Biopsy before surgery. It could be alot about nothing.

• iriscernea
    iriscernea Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2023

Fat necrosis after 4 years?

Yes, I have done an ultrasound, but it is strange that this lump cannot be seen on the ultrasound, but it is palpable, even the doctor felt it.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438
    edited June 2023

Fat necrosis can develop at any time. But maybe a lipoma? They don't show up on an ultrasound because they are basically the same tissue as what surrounds it. Supposedly they feel like a soft rubber ball and occur due to an overgrowth of fat cells. Considering everything you've had done in the past I can see where something like that might occur. At any rate I think it should be somewhat comforting that nothing showed up on ultrasound. Cancer normally is easy to spot in a fatty breast with an ultrasound.