Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ovarian Cysts and Tamoxifen?

Options

Curious to know how many other ladies (especially pre-menopausal) have had problems with ovarian cysts ONLY after starting Tamoxifen? I ask because I spent Thursday and part of Friday in the hospital having emergency surgery to remove my left ovary due to cysts causing ovarian torsion. There were two cysts and the ovary was the size of an eggplant.

I am the only one who asked if this was because of the Tamoxifen. 3 different doctors, in 3 different specialties didn't seem interested in that question. Anyone else have issues like this? I opted to keep my right ovary as I am only 44, but I would prefer not to be back in the hospital dealing with this again.

Comments

• zuliana13
    zuliana13 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yes!Yes!Yes!!. Tamoxifen has precisely a very considerable risk of ovarian cancer, ovarian cysts and endometriosis. Your gynecologist should recommend more frequent tests just to keep an eye out for this.

I was 52 and had a complete hysterectomy, one less thing to worry about during treatment.

• momgoose
    momgoose Member Posts: 71
    Options

Zuliana13,

Thanks for your response. I only have one ovary left (had the uterus/fallopian tubes removed about 3 years ago), so I don't have to worry about uterine cancer at least, but I was surprised to be dealing with ovarian issues after only being on Tamoxifen for less than 6 months. I am waiting for the path report from the cysts that were removed. The gyne didn't think they looked suspicious, but better safe than sorry in my case.